xliii

Assuring that Maggie was as comfortable as she could be in the RV, Clary rushed out of the vehicle and towards the armory. As she entered, she saw Carl packing up guns in a bag before turning to her. He pursed his lips, not wanting to the girl to come with them but knowing there was no way to stop her. "Grab some ammo." Clary nodded, a soft smile appearing on her lips as she was glad he knew not to fight with her on going.

Helping him pack up, the two were disturbed as Enid came in. Upon her entrance, the two teenagers looking back to her, Clary immediately shook her head before turning back to continue packing. "CJ, I need to—" Clary cut the girl off. "Stay. You need to stay right here and help defend this place. And when Glenn comes back, you need to let him know what happened."

As Clary made a motion to turn away, Enid shook her head. "Everyone here is ready, all because of you. You trained them, and because of that they're ready. And if you were really worried about an attack, you wouldn't be leaving—" Clary paused a moment before she turned around, dropping the boxes of ammo onto the table as she faced Enid. "The Hilltop is far, and a lot can happen in the time that we're out there. The Saviors are around every corner and after what they did to Denise? What they could have done to Maggie and Carol, or Daryl, Eugene, Rosita and Abraham? I'm not letting them take anyone else I care about, okay? I'm not letting them hurt you, I can't." Enid shook her head. "CJ—" Clary was surprised as a voice other than her own cut off her friend. "Enid, just stop! Listen to Clary, she knows what she's doing." Clary turned back, seeing frustration on Carl's face, to which Enid scoffed. "Oh, screw you Carl." Clary looked between the two of them, seeing their glares before she stood between them.

The two, because of Clary being someone they both cared about, had pushed aside the anger produced by Ron and had tolerated each other, maybe even forming a sort of sibling bond.  Of course, as all siblings did, they had their differences and sometimes only Clary could quell them.

Clary turned to Enid to see the girls eyes remaining on the boy. "You want to run into them. You want them to show up. Jesus this is about—" Clary cut her off. "Getting Maggie to a doctor, we know Enid. But you are staying here, and that is final." Enid stared at the girl, still shocked that they were at odds before she shook her head. "You're like my sister, CJ, but you are not my Commander. I'm going." Clary clenched her jaw, letting out a frustrated puff of air before cocking her head towards the door. "Fine. Grab some pistols from the closet, but hurry." Enid nodded, making her way inside the closet.

Giving one look to Carl, he nodded as she rushed towards it. Shutting the door, Carl reinforced it with the chair under the knob. She heard banging from inside, Enid letting out a frustrated sound. "CJ! Damn it!" As she continued hitting the wood, Clary clenched her jaw.  "I'm sorry, E, but I can't let you go out there. I can't lose another sister to Negan, not again." It went silent for a moment, until Enid's protests sounded again, not so much out of anger but of hurt. "But what happens if you don't come back? How— how am I supposed to live with that? What the hell am I supposed to do?" Clary gave a look to Carl, who nodded before gathering the supplies they had rounded up and heading to the door.

Once the boy was gone, Clary looked to the closet, the doorknob still rattling as Clary remembered the mantra her friend had used after losing her parents. That conversation seemed like long ago, sitting at the stable after learning their shared past and realizing their paths had intertwined once again. Letting out a soft breath, hoping one day her friend could forgive her, she took a step back as she spoke. "Just survive somehow." She heard her name being called from within the closet as Clary turned around and joined Carl out the door.

As they walked out, Clary saw Rick checking on the RV before his eyes met hers. He gave her a soft nod before signaling for her to go to him. Giving a look to Carl, he placed a reassuring hand on her arm. "I'll watch over her for you." With a soft thank you, Carl departed from the girl before she headed over to Rick. As he stood up, he let out a deep sigh. "I'm guessing there isn't any way to keep you here?" Clary looked questioningly at him. "Why would I do that?" Clary questioned, causing him to look at her in deep thought. "With Maggie out of the playing field and me going to Hilltop with her, as weird as it is to admit, you're the only one that's got any idea how to prep people for a battle." Clary let out a humored laugh, surprised at his admittance of her abilities, ultimately shaking her head. "Alexandria will be fine. I need to be there for her, you know I have to."