xli

2 weeks later

"Hey, scoot over."

Clary moved her hand from her eyes, opening one just to see Glenn staring at her with an amused smile. She moved over on the couch, allowing him to sit besides her. As Glenn settled into the empty area, he let out a soft laugh upon seeing her in the relaxed state she was in. If almost humored him to see how relaxed she had become, although still staying cautious, she had allowed herself to be on edge through every moment of the day.

"Did Enid head out for watch duty?" Glenn questioned as the girl seemingly settled back into her restful state. "Yeah, about a half hour ago. She should be back by mid-afternoon." Glenn nodded, smiling at the almost normalcy that the family had created.

In the short span of days, with the risk of Clary being sent out, Enid had been spending more time with the Rhee family. At first, Enid said it was just to check on them and make sure they were okay considering everything that had been happening. However, they found her staying the night in Clary's room when she was being held in lockup, worried for her friend. Considering their closeness, and the fact that they usually had opposite watch duties, the two had began to share the room since that night. Slowly, but surely, Enid had practically become another member of the Rhee family.

"How was your watch?" Glenn asked, causing the girl to move her arm, opening her eyes. "Barely any walkers. It's been like that for the past few days. Better yet, there hasn't been any Saviors, so either we really finished them off or they're hiding."

As Glenn nodded, the two sat in silence, grateful for the few moments of peace they found within their day. But Glenn had a question on his mind, ever since Maggie had revealed that Clary and Carl had gotten closer than he thought. "I saw Carl earlier, asked me how you were doing. I'm surprised you haven't been training with him or seeing him really." The girl only shrugged. "I've been busy with being on patrols and then meeting with Rick. I haven't had much time." Glenn watched as the girl sat up, unsureness in her face. "You sure it's just that?"

It was silent for a moment before Clary turned to him. "Maggie told you?" Clary questioned, to which Glenn nodded. "Just recently when she saw me talking to Carl. I asked her if something had happened and if you were avoiding him and she told me." He saw the girl stand up, looking back to him. "I'm not avoiding him it's just... I was so close to being kicked out by his father. What if Rick one day decides I can't be trusted again? It just puts Carl under more stress and I don't need anyone else worrying about me."

As Clary tried to walk away, Glenn grabbed her wrist gently, forcing her to turn back towards him. She clenched her jaw at his kind eyes, knowing she wouldn't be able to resist. Hesitantly. she sat back on her seat on the couch. Clary didn't want to sit besides him because she knew too well that he'd be able to ease her mind and she just couldn't allow herself to feel at peace with this. However, the look in his eyes was unable to go unnoticed.

Clenching her jaw, she joined him back on the couch before looking at him. "You're distancing yourself, Clary, we've all noticed it. You're taking the night shifts so you sleep when we're awake or you take shifts during the day so you don't see us as much. So tell me, what's really going on?" Glenn asked concerned, causing the girl to shake her head. "Clary—" the girl was quick to cut him off. "I can't put you guys through this anymore. Worrying about me, I don't want you to. You shouldn't have to be."

Clary wanted to leave it at that, but Glenn's confused look caused her to stop. She knew he wouldn't let the topic go. "I never had to be afraid of being the Angel of Death because I was unknown. My people weren't in danger because the Saviors didn't even know what I looked like or where I came from. But they might know now, and that means you are all in danger." She shook her head. "And I can't have any of you at risk, not again. Maggie and Carol could have died and I can't let that happen to anyone else." Glenn shook his head, placing a hand on hers. "You don't have to worry about us, Clary—" the girl scoffed. "Of course I do! I— I love you. I love all of you. And that's the problem."