xxxix

"Now, we're gonna work this out right now and it's going to go our way."

Clary clenched her jaw as she heard the woman speak, her hand gripped firmly on the handle of her blade. "Pick him up, " Rick demanded, causing Daryl to grab him and hold him up before forcing him to look to the forest. Clary grabbed the collar of the man's shirt, holding her blade to his throat before scanning the tree line for any signs of life. "You can see we have one of yours. We'll trade." Rick declared, the other side silent for a moment.

"I'm listening," the woman finally spoke, causing Clary to look at Rick. "First, I want to talk to Maggie and Carol, make sure they're all right." As he let go of the button, the walkie went silent. She allowed her blade to go closer to the man's throat as she waited for the static.

Clary's head snapped as the walkie crackled, a soft voice coming from the other side. "Rick, it's Carol. I'm— I'm fine but—" The connection shut off, cutting off Carol's words until it sounded to life once more a moment later. "Rick, it's Maggie. We're both okay. We'll figure this out—" Clary clenched her jaw when she heard the woman being cut off. "Shut up. You have your proof, lets talk." Clary looked over to Rick, his finger raised above the button before he pressed it. "Alright, this is the deal, right here. Let 'em go, you can have your guy back and live." She heard the woman let out a humorless laugh. "Two for one, that's not much of a trade." Rick waited a moment before answering. "You don't have any other choice, or you would've done something already."

The opposite end of the connection went silent and Clary dropped her sword from the man's neck before grabbing the walkie from Rick's hand. He looked at her confusedly as she pressed the button to the walkie. "You don't want just your guy? Fine, I'll sweeten the deal. You give Carol and Maggie back, you get your man and the Angel of Death." Everyone turned towards her with their eyes wide as she spoke, raising her finger off the button. Rick grabbed her arm, forcing her to look to him. "What are you doing—" he began to question, only leading her to give him a stern look. "Protecting my family."

Pulling away from Rick, she heard the static of the walkie before the woman's voice sounded. "You would give yourself up? I thought you were supposed to be strong? Do you— do you care for these women?" With Clary saying nothing, the woman laughed. "And here I thought the Angel of Death was dangerous—" Clary scoffed. "You better decide, bitch, or you'll see how true that is. You don't need those two, not if keeping them means you lose me," Clary countered, the woman going silent. "Why don't I keep them? They seem to be leverage." Clary took a step forward, staring into the expanse of forest before them to where she hoped her eyes were boring into that of the woman's. "Because whatever you do to them, what I'll do to you and the people with you will be a hundred times worse. You'll learn why people you knew feared me."

Everyone's eyes fell upon the teenager, dressed in her dark clothing and her gaze dark and taunting. She was terrifying, and that much they could admit. Even with her voice growing lower, her teeth practically bared as she angrily gave the woman terms. However, she kept her cool, relaxing to show a hint of confidence— or cockiness. "Unless you give them up, then I go with you willingly. That's the deal."

Raising her finger off of the button, she turned her head as Glenn came closer, shaking his head. "Don't do this, Clary. I can't lose you, too." Clary shook her head. "You won't lose either of us. I have to do this, to protect her just as the two of you protected me." Seeing Glenn's unsure gaze, she clenched her jaw. "This was what I did as Commander, protect my people. So please, let me do what I need to do." Glenn clenched his jaw, wanting to stop her from sacrificing herself, but he knew the type of girl she was— the type of leader she was. She was strong, and she was loving and being those two meant she'd do anything for the people she loved.