xlii

"Hey."

Hearing the voice, Clary looked down at the ladder to see Carl smiling up at her from the ground. She gave a small wave as he continued his trek up the ladder, joining her in the watch tower. "I thought you had watch during the night with Sasha?" Carl questioned, leading the girl to nod. "I did, but I was around and Abraham asked me to take over for a bit so he could, in his words, 'relieve his snake'." Carl raised an eyebrow at the man's words coming from her mouth before the two laughed.

However, even as their laughter filled the air, Carl couldn't help but notice the tiredness in her gaze. "I'll take over, Clary, you should get some rest." Clary let out a soft laugh before shaking her head and turning towards the boy. His eye held worry as he looked to the girl, who's under eyes had been plagued with dark circles.

Maggie and Glenn had told him about how worried they were that she wasn't sleeping much, especially with the Saviors seemingly closing in. It had gotten to a point where even Daryl, Michonne and his father had noticed. Of course, his dad was worried their main weapon wouldn't be able to fight, but Carl was more worried about the girl he cared for just being okay.

Her soft sigh cut through his thoughts. "I'm fine. I'll sleep when I'm dead." Carl clenched his jaw hearing her words, not wanting to imagine the meaning of that. "That's not funny, Clary." The girl only shrugged before turning away. "It wasn't meant to be. We don't know if or when the last of the Saviors will attack, and I can't be caught asleep if it happens." Clary took a step forward before leaning her hands against the top of the wall. Carl moved to stand by her side, doing the same as she did with his own hands and making a move to place his on her own.

Although wanting to keep him close, his touch comforting, Clary pulled away from Carl. The boy was surprised as she did so, watching as her face became set and the hand she pulled away laid to rest on the handle of her blade. "If the Saviors are out there watching us and they see the two of us? They'll use it. They'll know you're one of my weaknesses and I won't let them target you because of me." Carl shook his head at her words. "I don't care about that Clary—" he was cut off as her eyes bore into his. "You should. Being with me, it— it could get you killed."

Carl looked at her for a moment before he let out a sigh and shook his head, placing his hand on the one that rested on her blade. As she looked to him, he smiled reassuringly before intertwining their fingers. She pursed her lips, knowing the boy was too stubborn to stay away. "That can't keep me away. It... adds some excitement." Clary rolled her eyes at the joke but a smile had found its way to her face. "Carl—" the boy shook his head. "No, no more excuses. I'm here, and I'm staying here. Nothing will stop me from standing besides you, I promise."

Carl's words out Clary's worries to ease slightly, the topic not one she wanted to stay on. "Does your dad know you're out here?" Clary questioned, causing the boy to nod. "Out here? Yes. With you? It's better he doesn't. He hasn't been too fond of you still training me, but can't say I really care." Clary looked to the boy, a humored smile on her face. "I'm not surprised, I wouldn't want my son training with a girl called the Angel of Death, either. I'd say he's justified." Carl shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah, maybe, but I can't really be afraid of the Angel of Death as a teacher when she's also my—" Carl was cut off as the girl heard footsteps from down below, to which she moved towards the railing to see Abraham. "Thanks for the cover, Commander! I got it from here."

Giving him a mock salute, she made her way down the ladder before Carl followed moments later. As his feet fell upon the grass, Abraham made his way to the ladder before looking to the girl. "Your folks are on the opposite corner, making sure we got some nice firepower at arms length. Maggie said—" Abraham was cut off as the sound of a motorcycle echoed throughout the streets. All eyes turned towards the asphalt as they saw Daryl speeding down the road, stopping at the gate to open it as Rosita tried to get him to stop. Within seconds, he was out from within the walls and the sounds of his bike became more distant.