xxiv

"Hey, Jo." Clary turned towards the door of her room, surprised to see Daryl leaning against the door frame. She smiled in greeting, his eyes flicking down to her wrist to see the cuff. "Glad Glenn finally gave it to ya, I tried fixin' it up as best as I could but—" Daryl shrugged, sheepish as he revealed the work he had put into it. Clary only smiled. "It's great, truly. Everything alright?" Daryl nodded. "Yeah, we're gettin' ready to head out soon so I thought you'd wanna know. Maggie's busy with Deanna but I think he's like a familiar face to see him out." Clary nodded her head softly, getting up from her bed before making her way towards the door of the room. However, she stopped in front of the man and a heartfelt smile appeared on her face. "This," she began, bringing up her hand to show the cuff "... what you did for me, it means a lot. I can't repay you for everything you've done from me. Ever since the beginning you stood by me. So... thank you." Daryl gave a soft nod to the girl, placing a hand on her shoulder before squeezing gently. "That's what family's for, kid." It was silent for a moment before he pulled away. "Now, come on. Don't get all chick-flick with me."

At that, Clary laughed before the two made their way through the home and out the door.

The two headed towards the front gate of Alexandria, joining in the mass of people that had gathered for the dry run. Many were checking their weapons and supplies while others said quick goodbyes to their loved ones. Her eyes fell on each and every one, her thoughts turning morbid as she wondered how many would return. Those thoughts were always prevalent in Solaris as she sent out her people, whether to clear walkers or for simple runs, she always wondered how many people she had sent out to die. "Hey, I thought you were going to go train with Carl?" Clary allowed the thoughts to fade as her focus shifted to Glenn as he approached both herself and Daryl. In response, Clary shrugged. "And let you go without a goodbye? Please." Glenn only shook his head. "You know we don't need to say goodbye. It's just a dry run, what could go wrong?"

Before Clary could respond, she felt the side of her face prickle, as if pins were digging slightly into her skin. She turned to see Nicholas eyeing her, the man turning away as his eyes slightly widened about being caught. "He's the epitome of what could go wrong." Glenn let out a soft laugh before placing a hand on her shoulder, forcing her to look to him. "Don't worry about him. Everything will go just as planned, I don't think even he can screw up a dry run." The girl only scoffed. "He's the only one that I think could." Glenn let his head cock to the side, raising his eyebrows. Clary let out a deep breath before speaking again. "Be safe, okay? I know it's just a dry run but not everything goes to plan and—" Glenn nodded, easing her worries. "We'll be fine."

Seeing the unsureness in her gaze, he placed a hand on her shoulder. "I'll be fine. Cross my heart." Clary watched as he made the motion. "You just keep everything in order around here, okay?" Clary nodded, doing the motion over her heart before she took a step back. She pointed at Glenn as she took another step, speaking. "Can't break the promise. I'll see you tonight." Glenn nodded, securing his promise. "I'll see you, be careful." Clary nodded, giving a small salute before she made a move to walk until she made her way towards Daryl. The man held out a fist, to which she bumped immediately. "You be safe too, Daryl." The man nodded, his hair covering his eyes but she knew he held assurance in them. "You got it, Jo, I'll keep an eye on him too." Clary laughed as Glenn rolled his eyes playfully, watching the girl depart.

As the both of them watched her go, Daryl made his way to Glenn, noting the smile upon his face. "You got a good kid living under your roof. You're lucky." Watching Clary go, Glenn nodded with a soft smile on his face. "I think we're all lucky having her with us. But yeah, she's a good kid." With those words, the group was off.

The continuation of the day proved uneventful for Clary as she walked through the streets of Alexandria. She had trained for a bit with Carl, but not for long as he had to take care of Judith. So, while separated from her friend, she took the time to patrol the streets of Alexandria, her eyes watchful and ears listening out for any sounds that could indicate danger.