I Didn't Get it, Till Now

**Erika's POV**

Comet's an amazing kid. It's just so terrible about everything that she's been through. I couldn't stop thinking about her throughout the show, and I think that helped me. I found myself channeling some of the chaos of Comet's life story into my portrayal of Cady when her friendship with Janis fell apart in Act Two, all I had to do was think about Comet's life coming apart and pull all of that together to make Cady seem more desperate and confused.

"Erika," Taylor pulled me from my thoughts after the show, "You gonna come stage door?"

"I don't think so," I shook my head, "I'm just going to go home."

"Are you okay?" Taylor came back into our dressing room and sat down on the counter, "Something seems to be bothering you."

"That girl I was telling you about," I began, "I went back to the orphanage today and I got to talk to her. Comet - that's her name -, she's struggling and I want to help her."

"What do you propose?" Taylor tipped her head.

"Fostering," I met her gaze hard, "Then, maybe adoption. I'm not sure, though."

"She must be a really good kid," Taylor nodded slowly, "Look, Erika, I'm not going to tell you what you should do or what you shouldn't do, but you're twenty-five, the leading role in a Broadway production, and you're talking about bringing a kid into that. I think that fostering is an incredible idea and I fully support you if you decide that this is what you want to do, but you have to consider the facts. It's going to be a HUGE adjustment and it's going to get crazy at some points."

"I know, Taylor," I took a breath, "But I feel like this is what I need to do, you know? I found her last night outside Junior's and I know that I want to do something to help Comet."

Taylor sighed and settled herself into the chair beside mine, "What's the first step?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you think I'm going to let you do this alone?" Taylor gave me a supportive smile.

"Okay," I agreed, "The first step is becoming a foster parent."

"Okay," Taylor nodded, "How're you going to do that?"

                                         - - -

Three months later, Taylor and I were at the orphanage where Comet lived and I was signing papers with Mr. Jack so that I'd be able to foster Comet. Taylor was there as emotional support.

"Well, Ms. Henningsen, everything seems to be in order with your license. Comet's at school right now, but when she gets back, we'll have her pack up her things and go home with you," Mr. Jack nodded, flipping through the folder I had given him.

"Could we surprise her at school?" I blurted.

"Sure," Mr. Jack shrugged, "That seems like a great idea. She's at Kennedy Middle School. Do you know where that is?"

"Yeah," Taylor and I answered in unison.

"Great," Mr. Jack put the papers he'd pulled out back into the folders and handed them to me and Taylor, "Comet gets out at three and I'll see you when you get back so she can pick up her stuff."

Taylor and I had been lying to Mr. Jack. We didn't know where Kennedy Middle School was, but we figured it out and by the time we arrived, it was five minutes to three.

"Perfect timing," Taylor nudged my shoulder.

"Yeah, it's almost like we planned it," I joked back.

We stood in an anxious silence until we heard a bell ring and it was only a matter of time before Comet came out of the building.

"Comet!" I shouted to her, waving so she'd notice me.

"Erika!" Comet ran over and we embraced.

"Comet, this is Taylor Louderman, a friend of mine," I introduced the two, "We have a surprise for you."

I knelt and pulled my foster parent certificate out of my purse.

"What's going on?" I could see the pool of confusion and hope in her gray-green eyes.

"Can I foster you, Comet?" I asked.

"Yes!" Comet threw her arms around my neck and buried her nose in my shoulder.