Adulthood

**Comet's POV**

"We're joined here tonight with world-wide best selling author, Comet Henningsen-Louderman," Leo introduced me, "Thanks for being here, Comet."

"Hi, thanks for having me," I smiled back in a way that I'd seen my mom do multiple times.

"Now, Comet, let's start with your books," Leo leaned against his desk, "They're loved by youth around the world because of how diverse they are and how in almost every book, the reader can find someone like them. One of your most popular books is Silver Morning, the story of a foster kid and her struggles of finding a place to belong and family. How did you come up with this idea?"

"I based it off of my life," I answered simply, making Leo's jaw drop.

"Really? You were a foster kid?"

"I was, yeah," I laughed, "When I was six, my birth parents got divorced and both gave up parental rights by the time I was eleven. I was in an orphanage for a few months before getting fostered and then adopted by the woman who I now call 'mom'. Silver Morning is based on my life and the lives of other foster kids who I met and lived with."

"I used to think this was a fictional story," Leo rubbed his forehead, "But now I'm second-guessing that. What would you classify Silver Morning as?"

"Realistic Fiction," I answered, tapping my knee in a rhythm, "Sure, these are based on anecdotes, but they were compiled and edited to be a fictional story, but they aren't too far from people's real stories."

Leo and I talked about my books and how I come up with the ideas. I told him the truth, "I write the stories I wished I had when I was growing up."

"That's a very thoughtful answer, Comet," Leo nodded.

We talked for a little while longer and eventually, we said goodbye and I went back to the dressing room to take off my makeup and head home. I was changing out of my dress into pants and a long-sleeve shirt when my phone started ringing.

"This is Comet," I said, not bothering to look at the caller ID, "With whom am I speaking?"

"It's your mother," I recognized Mom's voice.

"Hey, Mom," I laughed, "What can I do you for?"

"I watched your interview tonight and wanted to tell you how proud I am, which I probably could've thought through better because there aren't enough words in any language."

"Aww," I put my phone on speaker and pulled my shirt over my head, "You flatter me, Mom."

"That's my job, Meadowlark. So, what does the rest of your night look like? Because I was thinking maybe some Henningsen-Louderman bowling?"

I laughed and started pulling on my shoes, "That sounds awesome. Do you need me to call Tay or...?"

"You're cute, Sleepy!"  I immediately recognized Taylor's voice on the other end of the call with Mom.

"Hey, Taylor. So, Mom, where should I meet you?"

"Underground Broadway bowling league sound good?" Mom asked.

"Sounds great," I agreed, "See you soon, first round's on me."

"Uh uh!" Mom shouted, "You are not buying drinks! You've been twenty-one for barely two weeks!"

"I meant the first round of burgers, but, I mean, if you want drinks, go for it," I shrugged on my jacket and backpack.

"I'm okay letting her pay for burgers," Taylor said, earning a Taylor! from Mom.

"See!" I laughed, "Taylor's okay with it."

"No, she's not," I could almost see the look Mom was giving Taylor, "We'll see you soon, Meadowlark, okay?"

"Yeah, Mom," I left the studio and held my phone to my ear, "I love you guys, see you at the alley."

"We love you, too," Taylor and Mom chorused and the line went dead.

I slid my phone into my pocket and tucked my hands in with it. The bar with the underground bowling alley was purposely only a few blocks from my apartment, so I dropped some things off and picked some things up from there and entered the building. The bartender nodded to me as I entered the stairwell and went down to the bowling alley.

"Mom," I went over to a lane and hugged my mom and Taylor from behind.

"Hey, kiddo," Mom kissed my cheek and I walked around the bench and sat next to them.

"Who're we playing against?" I asked, taking my bowling shoes out of my bag and exchanging them for my Converse.

"Evenin', Sleepy!"

I looked up and rolled my eyes, laughing when I saw Barrett, Grey, and Kyle walking towards us.

"You have got to be kidding," I stood up and gave them each a hug, "We're up against you?"

"Surprise, kiddo," Kyle ruffled my hair and grinned.

"Don't worry," Barrett squeezed my shoulder, "We'll go easy on you."

"'Easy on me'?" I laughed, "Oh please. I live four blocks away and come here every time I need to blow off steam."

"You blow off steam with... bowling?" Taylor asked.

"You have your ways, I have mine," I pointed out.

"Let's play!"

That's a wrap!

It has been such a pleasure and joy writing this story for you all! Thank you for being so incredibly awesome and supportive!

Please stay safe, healthy, and inside.

             -Spaceheater1