Laugh Along with Them

**Comet's POV**

"We're going to Central Park," Erika tossed my jacket at me, "Come on."

I looked at my sweatshirt beside me and reluctantly turned off the TV. I followed Erika out of the house as I shrugged on my coat.

"Are we seeing anything... special?" I asked, "Or is it just a day in the park."

"You'll see," Erika gave me a mischievous smile.

When we reached the park, Erika took her beanie off her head and put it over my eyes.

"Erika!" I grabbed her as my world went dark and felt her arm around my shoulder.

"It's okay, Comet," She laughed, "I'm right here. Don't worry. Come on."

I kept one hand tight on the edge of Erika's jacket and the other out in front of me to keep me from running into anyone or anything. Erika's arm stayed around my shoulders as she led me to who knows where. I heard familiar voices get quiet as I walked and finally, the beanie was removed from my head. The cast of Mean Girls was there, as well as some of the crew, and a few of Erika and my neighbors. A picnic table was piled high with food and a large sign that read, HAPPY ADOPTION in big white letters on a pink background was suspended between two trees.

"What's this?" I asked, my eyes sweeping over the gathered crowd.

Ben Cook strutted over to me and pulled me up on his shoulder, "Happy adoption, Comet," he said, carrying me over to the crowd where he dumped me on top of everyone. I let out a yelp, but Grey caught me. I grabbed a fist-full of his shirt as he paraded me around in a circle as everyone started chanting something along the lines of, 'Comet's adopted, Comet's adopted' in a way that would make an outsider think we were apart of a Satanic cult.

Erika and Barrett watched us as they laughed. I gave them a look that I hoped read 'Get me down from here' which made them just laugh harder. They eventually shut the Satanic ritual down and we all launched ourselves at the food.

"Congratulations!"

I look up from the mountain of fruit to see three women and a man come over. The man had a baby on his chest, one of the women was pushing a stroller, and the other two had babies in bjorns.

"Oh, thank you," Erika gave the four one of her signature smiles and I stepped around the table to her side. She put her arm around me, "Yeah, we're very happy, too."

Then, it went downhill.

"Do you know anything about her real mother?" the woman with the stroller asked.

"She's so lucky to have found you," the woman with the grey bjorn added.

"She looks just like she could be yours!" the man jumped in.

Erika and I looked to the third woman, waiting for a remark from her, but she shook her head slightly. 

Erika turned back to the three and said, "First off, while I may not have given birth to Comet, I am her 'real mother'. I brought our case to court and I adopted her - she's mine. Second, Comet's not the lucky one - I am. I'm lucky that Comet agreed to let me adopt her. I'm only giving Comet the home that she deserves. Third, she is mine. It's as simple as that."

The strangers walked away, giving us looks as they fled.

"Sorry about that," Erika immediately turned to me once they were out of earshot, "I'm sorry if I overstepped by calling myself you real mother I just-"

"It's okay," I stopped her, "It was nice having someone stick up for me for once."

"I'll always stick up for you," Erika rubbed my shoulder and kissed my head.

She steered me back to our gathered crowd. Barrett immediately tapped Erika's shoulder comfortingly and threw an orange at her. Erika's smile came back as she was attacked from behind by Taylor. The Satanic ritual restarted, but this time it had Kate and Kerry throwing grapes at us and if you were hit by a grape, you were 'dead' and you joined the grape-throwing.

All in all, I had a pretty awesome today. Spending the day in the park was a lot more fun than spending it in the apartment watching TV, no matter how hilarious the Looney Tunes shows can be.

"Hey!" Barrett backed away with a handful of blueberries in her hand, "Comet! Bottoms' up!"

I bent my knees and opened my mouth. Barrett threw a blueberry at me and I caught it. Four more came at me and each landed in my mouth. It became a game where each person would take turns throwing a blueberry or grape at me and I'd try to catch it, which I did if they were a good shot. A few bounced off my cheek, chin, or nose, but I caught the majority.

"Go long!" someone shouted and I saw a grape fly through the air. I followed it and dived, rolling to the ground.

"Oh my God!" Erika was at my side in an instant, rolling me over onto my back, "Comet are you okay?"

I grinned, revealing the grape held between my jaws. Erika laughed and pulled me to my feet. I swallowed the grape and pumped my fists in the air. 

"Got it!" I cried, earning cheers and applause from everyone.

"You've got a talent, Comet," Barrett hugged me from behind and put her head beside mine, "We should get you in front of some scouts."

"Nah," I shook my head, "I want to be a writer. That doesn't require performance skills as much as being an actor."

"It's still important to learn how to be out there," she pointed out.

"And I've got you to teach me," I grinned, leaning my head against hers.

Barrett kissed the side of my head, "Always. You're family now, kiddo, and we look out for our family."

I glanced at Erika. She was laughing with Tina and Ashley about something. She caught me looking at her and gave me a warm smile, which I gladly returned. I felt safe. I felt happy.

I could get used to this.

So, I've really enjoyed writing both of my Adopted by stories and I was wondering what you all would think if I were to publish a new one. I was thinking Newsies, but I am open to suggestions. Please leave your opinions and I'll make a decision.

                                 -Spaceheater1