Father?

**Barrett's POV**

"Knock, knock?"

I looked up from my phone, "Oh, hey, Comet, come on in." Erika's daughter had a strange look in her eye - worried, maybe? "Is everything okay?"

Comet sighed and sat down in Kerry's chair, "Not exactly."

"What's wrong?"

"It's my father. His lawyer left a voicemail on Erika's phone saying that he wants to see me."

I set my phone down on my desk, "Okay. And why is that bad?"

"What if he tries to take me away from Erika? From all of you? I don't want to get taken away and the first good thing he ever did for me was leaving me at that orphanage."

"Comet," I took her hands in mine and leaned forward, "No one is going to take you away from us. Erika has legal custody and your dad gave up any rights he had over you."

Comet looked at me with tears welling in her eyes, "Promise?"

"Promise," I pulled her over to me and drew her into a hug, "What are you going to do about visiting him, though?"

"I don't know," Comet leaned her head against my shoulder, "If I don't go he's just going to take us to court and make me visit him and I really don't want to go back to a courthouse again if I can avoid it, but at the same time I don't want to see him."

"What if I were to go with you?" I offered, "You don't have to face him alone. I'm sure Erika would be fine with it."

"Would you do that?"

"Of course," I rubbed her shoulder, "When do you want to face him?"

"As soon as I can so I can get this over with," Comet pulled back from the embrace, her jaw tightening, "Maybe between shows so that we have an excuse to leave?"

"Sounds good," I put a hand on her back, "Are you going to be okay?"

Comet gave me a soft smile, "Ask me again later."

I kept my promise to Comet and when the show ended, we let Erika know about the phone call and the visit and left the August Wilson through the back exit. I kept an arm around Comet's shoulders when we approached the prison and were patted down by guards.

"You ready?" Comet asked when we sat down on the visitor side of the glass.

"Are you?"

She didn't have a chance to respond because a man with a scraggly, greying beard and short hair in an orange jumpsuit sat down on the other side of the glass. He motioned to the phone and picked it up. Comet's eyes narrowed, but she did the same, holding it out so I could hear, too.

"Thank you for coming, Caroline," her father said.

"What do you want?" Comet replied coldly.

"Does a dad need an excuse to see his daughter? I have been waiting for you to visit me since I was arrested."

"You are not my dad," Comet growled, "Going to prison was the best thing that you've ever done for me. I used to think that every child got hit, kicked, and burned by their parents, but I've learned the truth. You treated me horribly, Dad, and I know now that I didn't deserve any of it."

I felt my heart swell with pride and I put a hand on Comet's knee. It took guts and strength to say what she said.

"If you hate me so much, why did you come?" Mr. Henders demanded.

"I came so that it could be on my terms so I can tell you to leave me alone. You gave me up, Dad, and I'm happy for the first time since Mom left," Comet sighed, "And I don't hate you. You treated me horribly, but you're still my father. Just because I want nothing to do with you doesn't mean I don't care."

"Caroline," Mr. Henders started.

"No," Comet cut him off, "No. I bit my tongue for my entire childhood. You don't get to talk, you get to listen... Good. You hit me, kicked me, burned me, locked me in my room, and starved me from the moment Mom left. I get that you never wanted me, but come on, Dad, why didn't you just stick me in the system earlier? Was it so you could tell the bartenders to call your daughter and you could get the pity looks when your seven-year-old came to get you at three o'clock in the morning after she stayed up waiting for that call because she knew it was coming? Was that the reason? Or was it so you would always have something held over Mom, so you could feel like the better person? Though, I guess I have to thank you - your treatment of me showed me how to not lead my life. You made me want to work hard because I saw what happened when you failed your GED after dropping out of high school. You forced me to be strong and because of that, I know now that I didn't and don't deserve anything that you did to me. It's because of the hell you put me through that I am able to say all of this to you and tell you - stay the hell away from me and my new family. Do not try to contact me again because I will not respond and get a good look at me now because this is the last you are ever going to see of me."

Comet took a power-move and put the phone back on the receiver, leaving her father sitting in shock and I followed her out of the prison. She didn't stop walking until we reached the front steps.

"That was awesome, Comet," I gave her a hug, "I'm so proud of you."

Comet took multiple deep, slow breaths before responding, "I cannot believe I just did that! I just told my father off, oh my God! I've been waiting to do that for years!"

She was clearly still a little shaken and in shock herself because she started laughing hysterically. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and lead her down to the subway so we could make it back in time for the second show of the day.

"How'd she do?" Erika asked once we got back to the August Wilson.

"Brilliantly," I grinned, "She didn't let him say anything and told him to, and I quote, "Stay the hell away". You should've seen her, Erika, she was awesome."

Erika smiled, "Thanks for being there."

"Anytime."