Reconnecting

**Erika's POV**

This is the day. I'm sitting in the New York City Family Courthouse waiting for the hearing to start. So far, no one has opposed my ability to take care of Comet since the day Maddie took her. Today is just about making the adoption official, I think. I haven't seen Comet for a month and I know that in that time, Cady Heron has seemed more hollow, desperate, and alone.

I was pulled from my self-reflection by the courtroom doors opening and banging shut. Then, I saw her - just as beautiful as I remembered, clad in a beautiful green dress that she kept tugging on and adjusting. Behind her were her foster parents and Maddie.

"Comet!" I jumped up and saw her eyes brighten. She ran to me and we collided in the aisle. As soon as I pressed my arm against her back, I felt Comet wince in my arms. "Are you okay?" I whispered to her, cupping her face in my hands when we'd pulled back from the hug.

"They're not nice people," she muttered just loud enough for me to hear, "Like my father."

"I'm so sorry, Meadowlark," I ran my thumb across her cheek and saw her wince and I instantly realized she was wearing a lot of concealer, "I'm so sorry for everything that I did and everything they did and that I couldn't protect you. I'm sorry that I wasn't there."

"You were," Comet smiled reassuringly, "Your Broadway.com vlog, the cast recording - everyone was there."

I felt the tears threaten to fall, but I blinked them away and ran my hand over Comet's head, feeling her beautiful dark blonde hair.

"All rise for the honorable Judge Connor Richards," the bailiff interrupted us. "You may be seated."

Judge Richards explained the case and why we were there and I felt myself shifting anxiously as we got close to the judge's final decision.

"Caroline Henders," he addressed Comet.

"Yes, Your Honor?"

"Where is your mother?" 

"My birth mother is in Santa Fe, New Mexico, with her new husband. She signed away parental rights when she and my father got divorced."

"And your father?"

"New York Correctional Facility, Your Honor. He was arrested after nearly killing someone while drunk driving. He was also abusive."

"Erika Henningsen," Judge Richards turned to me, "Is it true you were fostering Caroline and she was taken out of your custody?"

"Yes, Your Honor."

"Do you have anyone who can confirm that?"

"Yes, but they can't be here in person. I can call them, though," I started reaching for my phone.

"That will not be necessary," Judge Richards held up his hand, "Miss Sawyer - you're Miss Henders' social worker, who do you think she should go with?"

Maddie stood up and straightened her blazer, "While Ms. Henningsen has a good job and a good home," she said, "I do believe that the Kennedys would be better parents to Caroline."

"NO!" Comet jumped up from the seat between the two desks. 

"Shut up and sit down, brat!" I heard Mr. Kennedy hiss.

Comet flinched, but complied and ducked her head. Judge Richards ignored Mr. Kennedy and raised his eyebrows,

"No? Could I ask why, Miss Henders?"

"Um..." Comet looked at the floor and I saw her chest start moving faster.

"Meadowlark," I caught her attention, "Time to fly, just breathe."

Comet nodded, took a breath, then looked at Judge Richards evenly, "They've," she cleared her throat, "They've hit me."

There was an uproar, especially from the Kennedys. I jumped up and pulled Comet behind me as Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy started yelling and pointing and trying to deny the accusation. Maddie stayed calm with her head in her hands. The Kennedys started shoving chairs out of their way to get to Comet, but I kept myself between the three of them. I stood my ground and kept my head up.

"Move," Mr. Kennedy barked.

"No," I replied evenly, holding Comet close behind me.

Mr. Kennedy raised his fist and I braced myself for the impact, but it didn't come. I opened my eyes and I saw both Kennedys being pulled back by bailiffs against the walls.

"Order!" Judge Richards shouted for the fifth time, "Bailiff - hold back the Kennedys, Caroline - that is a very serious accusation. Do you have proof?"

Comet stepped out from around me and asked, "Can you unzip me, to the small of my back?"

"You're very brave," I whispered to her as I unzipped her dress, gasping when I saw the large bruise.

Comet gave me a small smile and turned her back to Judge Richards to show him the large blue-purple mark.

"We would never hit a child!" Mrs. Kennedy shouted, "Caroline, we love you, you know that, right?"

"Your Honor," Comet looked up at Judge Richards, zipping up her dress as far as she could without dislocating her shoulder, "I wouldn't lie about this."

"I know that Caroline," Judge Richards nodded, then he hit his gavel again and raised his voice, "I have reached a verdict. I, Judge Connor Richards, grant Ms. Erika Henningsen full and permanent custody over Caroline Henders. I also request someone looks into the Kennedy home and remove all minors from their care. Case dismissed," He banged his gavel once again and left the bench. I wrapped my arms around Comet and held the back of her head.

"Thank you," Comet whispered, "Thank you for fighting for me."

I pulled back from the hug and kissed her forehead, "I made you a promise, Comet. I promised that I would fight for you and I was going to bring us back together. To you, I will always make good on my promises."

"I love you, Erika."

"I love you, too, my Meadowlark."

Aww! Don't we just love happy endings? Don't worry, I have more planned for Comet, Erika, and the rest of the cast. Please send me feedback and requests of scenes and/or people you want more of.

Stay safe and stay healthy,

                              -Spaceheater1