Meadowlark

**Erika's POV**

"Morning, kiddo," I jumped onto Comet's bed and sat beside her. Comet groaned and pulled her pillow over her head, "Nope," I took it from her and tossed it to the floor, "Come on, please wake up."

"No..." Comet shrunk down under her blankets and buried her face.

Sighing, I got out of the bed and went to Comet's window, "Last chance, Comet," I put my hand on the blinds' drawstring, "Either get up or I open your window - it's a beautiful, sunny day outside." There was a groan from the bed, but no movement, "Okay," I pulled the string, and sunlight flooded the bedroom.

"God, Erika!" Comet poked her head back out of her blankets and shielded her face with her hands, "What was that for?"

I put my hands up and sat back down on her bed, "I gave you warnings. Now, c'mon, breakfast then we have to go to the theatre."

"It's so early - why?" Comet rolled onto her back and met my eyes with sleepy eyes.

"Comet, honey," I leaned forward, "It's almost noon."

"What?" Comet sat up sharply, "Why didn't my alarm clock go off?"

"It did," I nodded, "But I turned it off and already called you out of school for the day. I figured that my plans for the day are more important than school."

"What plans?" Comet rubbed her eyes and I felt myself grin.

"Don't worry about that, Meadowlark," I placed a hand on her head, "But, I promise it's a good surprise."

"Fine," Comet gave her hands to me and I dragged her out of bed, picking her up and carrying her to the kitchen.

After she ate and got dressed, I carried her to the August Wilson and up to the stage. Everything was dark and I put her down on stage.

"Three..." I called, "Two... One..."

The lights flicked on and all of the cast and crew shouted, "Surprise!" at the same time.

"What is going on?" Comet looked between me and the crowd of our friends.

"Well, Comet," Kerry stepped forward, "We've got a surprise for you."

"You said both your parents gave up parental authority, right?" Grey prompted.

"Yeah," Comet shrugged, "Why?"

I grinned and walked around Comet, "After our run-in with your mother, I decided that we needed to do something. Meadowlark," I put my hands on her shoulders, "Can I start an adoption process... for you?"

Comet's eyes widened. Her jaw moved as she searched for words, but eventually, she just nodded. I pulled her into a hug.

"Please..." I heard Comet's mumble.

I felt the arms off everyone else in the cast and crew around me and Comet as our private moment turned into a group hug.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!" Comet pulled back from the hug, but couldn't go anywhere because of the layers of arms.

"I think she wants to say thank you," Kate told me, causing another wave of laughter.

"Light 'em up!" a crew member yelled and suddenly the stage lights turn multiple colors and go all disco-ish while music blasts from the speakers at insane volumes.

Everyone breaks away from the hug and starts dancing. I overhear a conversation between the orchestrations director, John Clancey, and sound designer, Brian Ronan.

"This is why we put in an AUX cable," Brian was saying

"Oh, because you knew that Erika would take in a kid off the streets and end up wanting to adopt her and we'd throw a party and need an AUX cable?" John answered.

Brian shrugged, "Gut instinct?"

I stopped listening as the two got into some things that I didn't understand. I looked around the stage for Comet to find her with Taylor and Barrett as they watched Grey freestyle tap dance to the song playing from some crew member's Spotify playlist. I went over to them and wrapped my arms around Comet, hugging her against my chest. She flinched, but then relaxed when she realized it was me. I started loosening my arms, but Comet grabbed them.

"Don't let go," she whispered just loud enough for me to hear, "Please."

I tightened the embrace and kissed her head, "Never."