My Name Is...

**Comet's POV**

"You ready, Meadowlark?" asked Erika, poking her head into my bedroom, "Taylor will be here soon."

"I..." I trailed off to release a deep breath, "I'm nervous, but I'm ready."

Erika came in and hugged me from behind, meeting my eyes in the mirror, "If you don't want to do this, we don't have to - you know that, right?"

"No," I cut her off quickly, "I don't want my father's name anymore. I want to do this."

"Hey, guys! Let's go!" Erika and I heard Taylor yell from the door.

"You shouldn't have given her a key," I told her and Erika tipped her head in agreement.

We met Taylor in the dining room. She was digging through the cupboards, most likely looking for food.

"You ready, Taylor?" I asked as Erika pulled her out of the kitchen.

Taylor put her arm around my shoulder and we followed Erika out to the subway. As we got closer and closer to the courthouse, I felt my heart rate pick up as I started shaking with nerves. Erika wrapped her arm around my shoulder and hugged me close,

"Are you sure you're okay, Comet?" Erika asked and Taylor looked over from her seat across the subway.

"Yeah," I nodded, "It's exciting, but terrifying to think about the fact that after today, my dad will no longer have any connection to me."

Erika kissed my head and I leaned against her. When the person next to us got off the subway, Taylor made a mad dash to the seat and slid against us.

"Hey!"

In the courthouse, I couldn't help but glance down the corridors to where the courtrooms were located. Not too long ago I was here waiting to know if I would be going home with Erika or the Kennedys. When we were called into an office, my heart skipped a beat.

"Well, Miss Comet," the court-person passed a form across the desk, "Congratulations on the adoption, that's exciting. You're here because you want to change your last name?" I confirmed and he smiled, "Well, kiddo, just fill that out and I'll submit it."

With some help from Erika and Taylor, I filled out the entire form until the preferred new name slot.

"You ready for this, Comet?" Erika put her hand on the small of my back.

I nodded and scribbled Comet Matilda Henningsen-Louderman on the page.

"Louderman?" asked Taylor.

"You've been in our corner every step of the way and you're basically a second parent," I explained, "I want your name, too. Unless, of course, you don't want me to because I can ask for another sheet and change that if-"

Taylor pulled me into a hug, "Nothing would make me happier. Thank you, Comet."

I smiled and finished off the form before handing it back to the court worker.

"All set?" he asked, taking the papers and looking through them briefly.

"Yes, sir," I couldn't suppress the smile.

"Okay, Miss Comet," he put the papers into a manila folder, "I will get these where they need to go and you will get either a letter or an email confirming the name-change, but - congratulations, Comet Henningsen-Louderman."

Comet Matilda Henningsen-Louderman. I like it.

Hey, all! I hope you like this chapter. I know it's a bit shorter, but I'm hoping that the next one will be longer. Please check out my other Adopted by stories - Adopted by Newsies and Adopted by Dear Evan Hansen and let me know what you think. Stay safe and stay healthy,

-Spaceheater1