That Need to Belong

**Comet's POV**

Once I was done admiring Times Square, we continued walking to the August Wilson. The doorman buzzed us in and gave Erika a stack of fan mail as we passed. Climbing stair after stair, Erika introduced me to people passing us and people in dressing rooms. I didn't retain any name-face alliances because there were a LOT of people.

"Evening, Erika," A woman who was dressed in black lace tights, jean shorts, and a hoodie stuck her head out of a dressing room when Erika and I began down a hallway.

"Hey, Barrett."

"There's a kid," the woman, Barrett, noticed me.

"This is Comet," Erika introduced me and I felt her hand on my shoulder, "I'm fostering her. Comet, this is my castmate, Barrett Wilbert Weed."

I shook hands with Barrett Wilbert Weed, "I like your name."

Ms. Weed smiled, "Thanks, I like yours."

"Well, I'll see you later, Barrett," Erika high-fived her and steered me to a dressing room at the end of the hall.

Taylor was there in sweatpants and a loose-hanging t-shirt with fuzzy socks. She was sitting back in her chair with her feet on the desk. She had glasses and a wig cap on and was reading a book. I caught a glance at the title and she was reading 500 Words You Should Know.

"Comet!" she ran over and hugged me, "Welcome to the August Wilson! How do you like it so far?"

"It's cool," I nodded, "I've stared at Broadway theatres for so long, it's awesome to be inside one."

"Do you like musical theatre?" Erika shuffled past me and flopped onto the couch.

"Somewhat," I nodded, "I like thinking about how someone put effort into combing every single line and word into it so it's perfect. I really enjoy writing and reading and am fascinated by different works."

"Oh, yeah?" Taylor settled herself back into her chair, leaving me to be the only one standing, which was a little awkward, "What's your favorite book?"

I thought for a moment, "Probably Catcher in the Rye, but there are so many I love."

"Isn't Catcher in the Rye a little mature?" Erika laughed, earning a nod from Taylor.

"I don't know," I admitted, "My mother would read it to me when I was really little every night before bed. Then, when she first left, I read it against to try and get a little bit of her back. I found comfort in the story then and I still do."

"Boo!"

Taylor shrieked a little and jumped, Erika burst out laughing, and I found myself a wall to press my back up against. I allowed my eyes to find the door to see a woman who looked Asian come into the room. She either always dressed like a teenager or was already in costume. I'm guessing it was the latter because it is Mean Girls.

"Hi," she noticed me still pressed up against the wall like an idiot, "I'm Ashley Park, nice to meet you."

"C-Comet," I mumbled.

"Ashley plays Gretchen Wieners," Erika said to me.

"Nice, uh, nice to meet you," I nodded quickly, wishing the introduction was over.

Once Ashley moved on from me, Erika motioned me over to the couch and hugged me to her side.

"Are you okay?" she whispered in my ear, "When Ashley came in, you pressed yourself against the wall. What's wrong?"

"New people," I told her reluctantly.

"What about them?"

"Whenever my dad had people over, they'd hurt..." I trailed off but felt Erika's arms tighten around my shoulders.

"I hope you know, Comet, that no one here would ever hurt you or introduce you to anyone who would hurt you," Erika pulled me down so I was laying across her lap and staring into her eyes, "What your father did to you was cruel and no one here would ever think of doing something so horrible."

How is it that Erika always knows what to say.

I smiled slightly, "Thank you."

"For what?" Erika let out a small laugh.

"I haven't felt this safe in a very long time. I almost forgot what 'safe' feels like."