Someone Gets Hurt

**Erika's POV**

When I got the call to come down to Comet's school because there'd been a fight, naturally I did. I told the SM to let my understudy know and ran to the subway. I was ushered into Ms. Lukas's office when I arrived.

"What happened?" I asked, sitting down across from the principal. 

"I don't know very much yet," Ms. Lukas replied, "I only know that Comet was involved and a teacher had to pull her off a boy named Zachary Jones."

There was a knock on the door and Comet came in. She wore exactly what she wore when she left the house this morning - Converse, skinny jeans, a flannel shirt, and a beanie. This time, however, she was holding a towel to her nose.

"Comet!" I jumped up and ran over to her. I rested my arm on her shoulder and held the back of her head and placed my other hand on hers, gently pulling the towel to see from her nose to see it bloody. "Oh my God! Are you okay? What happened!"

"Yeah, no, I'm fine," Comet shrugged, unusually calm considering how profusely she was bleeding.

"Come on," I lead Comet to the seats set up in front of Ms. Lukas's desk.

"Comet, can you explain what happened?" Ms. Lukas prompted.

"Sure," Comet nodded and I made sure my hand was on her knee, "Zachary knew my parents are divorced and my father's in jail. He also somehow found out that I was adopted by Erika and he..." Comet took a breath and I took her hand, "He said that I was the reason my parents split up and my father was an alcoholic because he didn't want to deal with me and my mother moved with her new husband to Santa Fe to get away from me." I scooted closer to Comet and wrapped an arm around her shoulders as she took a shaky breath.

"Take your time, Meadowlark," I assured her, "We don't have anywhere to be."

"What, what about the matinee?" asked Comet.

"Don't worry about that," I shook my head, rubbing her shoulder.

Comet nodded and turned back to Ms. Lukas, "Zachary also said that I was only adopted because... because Erika needed the publicity and took pity on me."

"So what did you do?" urged Ms. Lukas.

"I slapped him," Comet admitted, lowering her gaze, "I know that it wasn't the best choice, but I couldn't help it. I was planning on leaving it there. He was the one who jumped on me. I punched him in the shoulder and he pulled me to the ground. I didn't want to fight him, Ms. Lukas, I swear - I really didn't."

"I believe you," Ms. Lukas nodded, "You're a good kid, Comet, you're a good kid who's been through a lot. Even so, I have to make an example. Comet, you're suspended for two days, but I will make sure your teachers know exactly what happened and that you're not at fault here."

"That's fair," Comet nodded.

"Is that all?" I asked, glancing at the clock. If we hurried, Comet and I could make it back to the August Wilson Theatre in time for the matinee.

"That's fair," Comet nodded.

"Is that all?" I asked, glancing at the clock. If we hurried, Comet and I could make it back to the August Wilson Theatre in time for the matinee.

"Yes, you may go," Ms. LUkas nodded, pulling together some papers on her desk.

"Come on, Comet," I hugged her close to my side and walked her out of the office, "Thank you, Ms. Lukas."

Hey, all. Sorry - this one's a bit short. I figured that the longer chapter I published for Adopted by Dear Evan Hansen: Could We go on For Forever kind of makes up for it. I'm at a bit of a loss for ideas for this story so if any of you have anything in particular that you would like to see, I'd be happy to put that together.

Stay safe and stay healthy,

                          -Spaceheater1