Whitebeard upsets Percy

The three boys followed Marco into the Mess Hall noticing that there wasn't just the one table full of the stronger people aboard this boat but also several smaller tables with weaker members.

Zorak: There's more than last time.

Percy: I know calm down Zor.

Zorak: I'm calm.

Xian: Your thoughts revolve around shredding the crew and hiding the evidence.

Zorak: Like yours are any better X!

Percy: Cool off, let's just get this over with before one of us decides to destroy the place.

The older two glared at anyone and everyone as they walked to the table Marco gestured at.

Xian: Fail two!

Zorak: Pom-pom is never going to win.

Percy rolled his eyes glancing at the non-blue food. There wasn't even a hint of blue. Well so much for the first lunch time meal.

Thatch glanced at the boys expectantly. X and Z both grabbed the orange that was on their plate and peeled them. As they peeled them, they kept one eye on all the pirates.

The pirates on the other hand were trying to figure out what to do to break the tense silence. Thatch was tensely watching Waves who had laid his head on the table like last time. "Waves do you not like this meal?"

"No" Was the muted reply from the small boy. Thatch slumped and Percy raised his head at the mourning Thatch. He didn't look to good. X and Z finished their oranges and gestured at the door. The pirates noticed the gesture and were all trying to find a way to keep them here.

"Ah, wait umm..." Marco stuttered, trailing off. The pirates gulped as Waves stopped walking and cocked his head at Marco.

"What Pineapple Head?" Percy asks with a small laugh at his stuttering.

"Um...well I was wondering if you....umm." Marco racked his brain trying to figure out what to say to keep the boy here. An idea popped in his head and he yelled. "Cookies!"

The pirates gazed at Marco wondering if he had lost it.

"Cookies?" The young boy asked. Shadow and Light stood about two feet ahead of him.

"Umm, well how about you make cookies for all of us? I know a lot of the boys here want to try your cooking." Marco rambles, looking pleadingly at Waves.

"Make cookies?" Waves asks with confusion.

"Yeah!" Thatch yells, cutting in.

"The recipe..." Waves says trailing off and ruffling his hair with a confused look.

"What?" Marco asks.

"Reward for challenge, right?" Percy says, not understanding how he can make the cookies during the challenge. Isn't that just giving away the recipe?

"Oh, well you don't have to make that kind of cookies you could make something else." Thatch says, eager to learn something from the boy.

Waves shrugged and said. "I'm fine with that." The older boys sighed but walked over to the younger boy. Waves frowned and said, "How do you know I won't poison them?"

The crew sweat dropped at that thought. Whitebeard leans forward and says, "You don't have anything to gain by poisoning us."

Waves gazed at Whitebeard before shrugging. "You're right, other than you shot shadow and took him away from us, Marco kidnapped me...oh and forcing us to stay on your boat. Definitely don't have anything against you." The fact that Waves said Marco showed he was serious and wasn't joking around. The mood in the room grew tense, the pirates watching to see what would happen.

"Gurarara...Alright you make cookies and I'll eat one. Poisoned or not." Whitebeard said after laughing. The crew started muttering and Waves frowned up at the giant man. Suddenly he turned walking out.

"I'm heading back to the room." Waves said, voice cold and unfeeling. The pirates gazed after Waves who was followed by Shadow. Light sighed and walked after the two. The pirates glanced between each other confused.

"Hey, wait what did we do?" A pirate yells.

Light stopped and glanced back his eyes cold. "It's not what you did, but what he said." Light gestured at Pops who gazed at the boy unsure as to why the three were upset.

"Explain please." Whitebeard says, looking at Light with genuine curiosity.

"Do you have a death wish?" Xian asks.

"No" Whitebeard answers.

"Then don't throw your life around, not when so many people care about you. Its disrespectful not only to yourself but to those who care about you." With that Xian stormed out. Zor and Perce waited outside for X. X nodded at the two and they walked back to their room.

Meanwhile the crew was glancing around shocked. A pirate uncertainly asked, "Did they not like the thought of you dying Pops?"

"No, I don't think that's it." Whitebeard says after a long silence.

Marco rubs his forehead feeling a headache coming on. "Hey Pops, whatever we did it really upset them, yoi. Maybe we should be careful when we talk about dying, yoi."

"I don't think it was about dying son. I think it was about loved ones." Whitebeard says with a sigh.

"Loved ones?" Izo asks.

Whitebeard nods. "I think it mean they don't like people who are cared about to talk about dying."

"I don't get it." Haruta says.

"Do you like the thought of me talking about eating poisoned cookies?" Whitebeard asks.

"Well, no" Many of the crew answer.

Whitebeard smiles. "I think that's what they meant, by not upsetting those who care about you."

"Oh, I wonder why they'd care about that." Thatch says aloud.

Izo nods in agreement. "They're kind of young to be caring about that type of thing."

"Yeah, but they were living alone it might be that they saw someone they loved die and don't want others to feel that pain, yoi." Marco says.

Whitebeard is happy his sons seem to really want to get to know the three. "Indeed, but sons remember this is all guesswork do not assume any of this is what happened."

"Right Pops" Thatch says.

"We understand." The crew follows up Thatch's words.

Whitebeard nodded and pushed himself up. "Tonight, we will apologize and extend the same offer. Hopefully, they accept. Baking cookies might help them to open up to us."

Thatch nodded fervently and slowly the crew trickled out of the Mess Hall.

"Pirates baking cookies...what have we come to, yoi?" Marco mutters as he leaves, Whitebeard hearing his words and laughing heartily.

Author: My initial motivation for this story is fading as my days grow busier, I'm still writing, and will try to continue writing this story. Thanks to all the readers who are reading this, you're giving me the motivation to keep writing!