Patrol and Paperwork

Valkyrie took a seat behind her desk as Izuku sat back down. HIs eyes were attentive and earnest which she loved, and excitement built up inside her at the prospect of molding this young hero.  

“Now then, we’ve gone over the basic rules and regulations. I want to ask you a few questions, the way you answer these questions can interpret to me what kind of hero you’ll be, and what I’ll need to work on with you,” 

“Yes Ma’am!” Izuku nodded and sat up straight ready to answer any questions fired his way. 

“Good… first question is, why do you want to be a hero?” Valkyrie folded her hands on the desk and leaned in. 

“I’ve always wanted to be a hero… even before I knew he was my father I’d watch All Might on TV wanted to be just like him. I wanted to save people, and be fearless doing it. I want to be a kind and cool hero who could look into the face of adversity and smile.” He said honestly.

“Now that do you know he’s your father, do you think you can live up to the expectations of being his successor?” 

“I don’t know…” He clenched a fist over his heart. “There are days when I truly believe I could be like him, and I can see myself in him… and there are other days when I don’t, and I feel like I’m not ready or worthy of such an amazing gift.” 

“Humility is a good trait to have, Izuku.” She leaned in more laying her head up on her braced hands. “It’s good to be humble, but you also have to have confidence in everything you do. If this is truly what you want, then you must embody confidence! We can work on this.” 

“Yes ma’am!” He nodded. 

“Is part of your lack of confidence, is that you believe your sister is more worthy of being his successor?”  When his body tensed up her lips curved knowingly. “I see that I’m right.” 

“I… that is… mmmm.” Izuku rubbed his right arm. “Yes. Yes you’re right. As I said there are days when I do feel worthy… it’s because of her. We’ve battled back and forth about the things… but she’s always made me believe and feel that I’m the strongest. Even when we were kids and I was quirkless at the time, she’d tell me I was HER hero, because I’d stand up to bullies even though I had no power at all. I’d get beat up, picked on, but I never let that stop me from believing in my dream of being a hero. She would remind me everyday and it made it so much easier to just be myself, and focus on my goals.” 

“However, out of everyone else in the world, Izumi is your greatest competition. From what I saw at the Sports Festival I can see she’s a tough, determined, and intelligent fighter. You admire her, as much as she admires you, and it puts the two of you on an even playing field.” 

“Yes, and she always seems to make up her mind so easily. When she decides she’s going to do something, she just goes ahead and does it.” He lowered his head. Just like when she had decided to ensure his acceptance to U.A. despite the rules and risks she’d faced. He gripped the locket. “Whereas I’m always at odds with my own mind and heart.” 

“You see that’s where I have to disagree with you.” She stood up and rounded the desk. “You just told me you  never gave on your dream no matter what. It doesn’t matter what circumstances gave you the courage to do that, Izuku, because it’s motivation that pushes us to do our best. Motivation, no matter what the cause, is never a bad thing. The worst thing you can do in life, is absolutely nothing.” 

Izuku looked up, eyes wide with astonishment and he smiled bright. 

“Yeah… you’re right.” 

“Of course I am, I’m the teacher.” She winked. “Now then, that completes this little Q & A. It’s late, and we’ve a long day ahead of us tomorrow.” She pressed the intercom. “Cherubia…”