The Letter

Artwork credited to Juledrops on Deviantart.com

“I’m sorry,” All Might apologized as he poured tea for Valkyrie. “I didn’t mean to startle you so suddenly with this.” 

“You don’t have to apologize.” Valkyrie patted her chest feeling the rushing beats of her heart. “I just wasn’t prepared at all for something like this. I had no idea that you had such a serious wound.” She took the offered cup, eying the skinny form of All Might. He wasn’t the image she’d admired since childhood… but the tale of his injuries didn’t fail to impress her, and have her grieve for him. “I should apologize to you for reacting the way I did.” 

All Might laughed a bit recalling how he’d collapsed right after class, and she’d freaked out seeing him deflate, shouting for medic bots, thinking he’d been cursed by a random quirk. 

“It’s quite alright… and it was very sweet of you to offer to help me.” 

She blushed bright red and waved her hands around. 

“No, no, no… really I was just concerned is all.” she held her cheeks fidgeting in her seat.

“Still, it was sweet… now then I believe you came here for a more serious reason than to help me teach a class.”  All Might pressed and had Valkyrie’s embarrassment flushing. 

“Yes… in regards to the Hosu incident.” She set the files in front of him. “This is the autopsy report of the monsters in question.” All Might picked it up and skimmed through it, his eyes narrowing at the contents. “As you can see, they were all originally human with simple quirks. Their bodies were biologically engineered to hold more than one quirk.” 

“I see, I spoke to Recovery Girl not that long ago. She said Izumi really was attacked in the hospital… and that it was more than likely a mad scientist looking to use her as the next source of his experiments.” 

Valkyrie gasped at this. 

“So this man, this Shigaraki Tomura, is trying to turn her into one of these creatures?” 

“It appears that way… but according to Recovery Girl the experiment failed. Other than violent mood swings which Izumi is already prone to, there hasn’t been much of a change in Izumi... physically.”

“Well that’s a relief,” Valkyrie held her chest sighing. “Izuku will be happy to hear that too. I could see he was worried. The two of them share such a deep seeded bond.” 

“I’m not entirely sure that the experiment failed.” All Might closed the folder and leaned his elbows on his knees his hands fisted tightly together. 

“Eh? Why do you say that?” 

“Call it a father’s intuition… but my son says their connection…” he tapped his temple. “...hasn’t been working since she was attacked.”  He stood up and walked to the window. “More than that… when I finally did see Izumi in the hospital, I could tell something more was wrong. I could just be worried for her as a father would over his daughter. Still, I think Izumi knows her body well, and she’s certain there’s something wrong.” 

“All Might…” Valkyrie stood and walked to him. They were nearly the same height now with the transformation, and she lay her hands on his back stroking the tension she felt there. “I wish there was something more I could do. I’ve grown very fond of your son, and I’ve always admired you. To know you’ve confided in me like this… it means a great deal to me, and I want to help in anyway that I can.” 

“Thank You, Valkyrie.” 

“Kairi…” she said simply and he turned to face her. She blushed a bit clenching her hands together. “My real name is Kairi.”