Chapter 21

Pearl called a family meeting and told everyone what happened. "I was able to connect with Steven in my dream. He told me two girls captured him."

Amethyst stood up in shock. "Wait, do you mean those two girls who we practically made homeless all those years ago?! Right before Steven was born?!"

Pearl nodded her head and folded her hands in her lap. "Yes. Apparently they're still very upset and they're trying to get back at us. So we have to be careful."

Connie stepped up. "Well what are we supposed to do?"

Pearl stood over the table and layed out a map. "There's a back gate we can go through. Me, Amethyst, and Garnet will approach from the windows. Lapis and Peridot can give us an aerial view in case anything happens and then you can bust through the roof. Once we have them distracted, Connie can burst through the front door. Then we'll fight'em off, grab Steven, and head back. Any questions?"

Amethyst pointed at her. "How do you know all this stuff?"

Pearl rolled the map back up. "I've been watching them for a while. I didn't think they would ever do something but with how Steven has been, it was better to be safe than sorry."

Lapis stood in front of her. "Hey Pearl, can I talk to you for a bit?' She extended a hand out to her

Pearl nodded and grabbed her hand. They walked out to the balcony for privacy. They both leaned forward against the railing and stood next to each other

Lapis spoke up first. "I'm sorry you have to go through all this. It must be really hard after everything you and Steven have been through."

Pearl turned towards her. "Yeah but aren't you hurting too? Steven is your....what did he call it?"

"Beach summer fun buddy." Lapis flashed her a smile

Pearl smiled back. "Yeah."

"Of course I'm hurting. I'm terrified of what they could be doing to him. But in all honesty, I'm more worried about how you're feeling. I can tell you're trying to stay strong for everyone. You don't have to around me. I really care about you Pearl. I'll always be here when you need me."

Pearl blushed as her eyes swelled up with tears. She wiped away the tears and stood there, holding herself. She was struggling to keep it together 

Lapis reached out. "Come here." She pulled her into a hug as Pearl broke down

"Thank you Lapis. For everything." She buried her face in Lapis's shoulder

Without warning, Lapis gently kissed her on the neck and whispered something. "I love you."

Chills went through Pearl's body. Someone finally loved her for who she is. It felt like a dream. After thousands of years of heartbreak, the last person she expected cared for her. Suddenly everything felt a whole lot better. And in that moment, Pearl came to a conclusion. "I love you too."

Lapis hugged her a bit tighter and everything was frozen in time. They stood there holding each other, never wanting to let go