008.

008. could her day get any worse?

IT TOOK a lot of inner strength for barbie not to kill kenji ito. of course, she had no idea if she was even capable of killing a demigod. but the death of somebody as close to her as herry seemed to make that line very thin.she watched as kenji sobbed, muttering to himself as he stared down at cherry's body. he looked broken, to say the least. but barbie couldn't help but think that was what he deserved.

"i didn't mean to kill her," he whispered finally, speaking to barbie direct after a while, "it was never meant to happen like this."

"you were meant to kill me, blue boy, i don't think it makes it any better," snapped barbie, a dome of protective mist around them so they could safely get back the demigods base. she paused for a moment, before her brain suddenly had an idea and she spoke, "kronos."

"what about him?" whispered kenji sadly.

"he must have a way of communicating to you, right?" she spoke, her voice harsh, "well?"

"uh- yes, we all have scythe charms. i- i charmed them myself," whispered kenji in a disappointed tone.

"you charmed them yourself?" questioned barbie.

"i'm a son of hecate," he spoke, his voice cracking, "i guess you want me to destroy mine?"

"yes," she nodded curtly, "hand it over."

"i- fine," mumbled kenji, shuffling slightly before he handed barbie a scythe bracelet. barbie looked at the charm before looking at a nearby gutter and she dropped them down, not even bothering to look where it went.

after a few deep breaths, barbie seemed to have calm down a bit. and it seemed most of the overwhelming rage she felt seemed to change into sadness. but she refused to let herself cry. instead, she took a shaky breath before her gaze hardened slightly and she murmured, "you're going to tell us everything you know about kronos, kenji. and you're gonna help us."

by the time she'd made it back to their base. she'd decided to herself she was going to be civil to kenji. it actually seemed pretty stupid to be civil to him. but he already looked so guilty and sad, and was constantly on the edge of having another mental breakdown. and she knew he wasn't lying when he said he didn't mean to kill her,she could feel the truth radiating form his voice. she'd deny as much as she could, but she didn't want to hate kenji.

maybe her past self would have taken no prisoners, just killed him or beat him until he was in unbearable pain. but after seeing cherry die... it was like barbie had had an epiphany of sorts. life was too short. not only that, but you only had one shot at it. if barbie spent the whole of her life, simply hating a fifteen-year-old kid for throwing a knife wrong (of course there was the fact he was trying to kill her) then she'd just feel... wrong. don't get her wrong, she's not gonna become fast friends with him, and that would likely take her a while to even look at him without feeling some sort of rage. but for now, she was going to be civil, and also force him to tell her everything he knew about kronos.

she'd led kenji all the way to will solace in the infirmary, who's eyes were wide when he saw cherry's dead body.

"no-" he murmured, "no it can't be-"

"killed in front of my eyes," whispered barbie in a broken tone, "clean her up... will, we'll see about doing a memorial service for her soon. but at least give her a drachma so she can pass freely to the underworld."

will solace nodded sadly, quickly cleaning cherry's dead body up before wrapping her in a green fabric. he fumbled for two drachma's and placed them over both her eyes before he muttered a few words in ancient greek, before looking back up at them, tears in his eyes.