The Court Date

"Becca! Hurry we're going to be late to the hearing!" My grandmother yells. I run downstairs.

"Beck? Why didn't you just choose to stay with grandma?" Gio asks as we get into the car.

"I want to go with you Gio. If you get stuck with that witch, I do too." I reply. My grandmother slaps the back of my head.

"I dislike your mother just as much as you Rebecca, but don't disrespect her like that! She's still your mom." She says. I roll my eyes.

"No, a mother would do anything for her children, she gave us up willingly! Stacia is not my mother and never will be!" I reply. She sighs.

"We're here. Behave kids." My grandmother says, brushing her skirt. We walk into the courtroom and Stacia smirks. I know they are going to send Gio with her, but I'm still hoping there's a chance they won't.

...........................................................

"Stacia Ramirez gets custody of Giovanni Romero." I look at Gio and hug him tightly.

"I'm so sorry Gio." I say, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Rebecca? Have you made your choice?" The judge asks. I look over at my grandmother and she nods.

"I will go with Stacia." I reply. He nods.

"My babies!" Stacia yells as she runs over to hug Gio and I. We both back away.

"We should get going. We have a lot of packing to do before we go with you." I say, grabbing Gio's hand.

"Rebecca?" I hear a voice ask. I turn around and see a boy around my age staring at Gio and I.

"Yes?" I say, still slightly angry about the outcome of the hearing.

"Don't you remember me?" He asks. I shake my head and turn to leave again.

"Alvaro! Let's go! Mom wants us to bring the car out front so she can get in!" A girl says running up to him. I stare at him as a tear rolls down my face.

"Remember me now?" He asks. I turn and run away with Gio. He looked just like me, but with short hair. His brown eyes and tan skin were exactly like mine. How did I not realize it was him?

"Beck, why did we run?" Gio asks. I wipe my tears as I get into the driver's seat to pull the car around to pick up our grandmother.

"I'm not ready to face them yet Gio." I say quietly. He nods.

"It's okay Beck, I understand." I laugh a little as we pull up in front of the courthouse.

"Becca! You ran from your own brother?! He was heartbroken mija!" My grandmother shouts. I sigh and drive home silently.