Chapter 32

"Kaiden give that back to your sister!" Rue demanded as her 3 month old put his sisters pacifier into his mouth.

Jazlyn cried and wailed as she kicked and turned. Kaiden look over at her and took her pacifier out of his mouth and into hers.

"Thank you." Rue sighed.

"Rue!" Ava yelled out from her room. "Can you answer the house phone?" She asked out loud.

Rue huffed a sigh as she put the twins into their play pen and hurried to the kitchen to pick up the phone.

"Hello?" Rue answered as she picked up the phone.

"Is this Rue Cooper?" The person on the phone questioned.

"Yes this is she.." She raises a curious brow.

"I work for Mr.Antinori." The caller tells her.

"Mateo?" Rue asked as she sat down.

"Yes. I am calling in news of your son. He is on his way to the hospital.." The caller is unable to finish her sentence as Rue drops the phone and runs to Avas room.

"I need you to get me a flight to Chicago!" Rue demanded.

"Why Chicago?" Ava questioned.

"One of Mateos workers called me and told me Luca is being rushed to the hospital, and I NEED to be there!" She explains hurriedly.

"Okay breath." Ava advises. "You go get clothes for you and the twins ready and whatever else you need and I will get the transportation ready."

"Thank you!" Rue relaxes and she runs over to Ava and kisses her cheek. "You are the absolute best!" Rue rushes to her room as Ava gets her plane ticket ready.

Rue rushes around her room throwing clothes into a suitcase and other essentials. She the rushes to the twins room and packs their stuff also. She picks the twins up and puts them in their car seats.

"First plane ride.. not under great circumstances but.. we will make the most of it!" Rue chimed as Jazlyn giggled.

"Your flight leaves in 40!" Ava called out to Rue.

"Then we better get going!" Rue responded.

~Chicago, 3 hours later~
"Hang on Luca." Mateo muttered as they wheeled his son over the red line and into the O.R..

Oh God..

Was the only thought that crossed Mateos mind as he ran his hands over his face and let out a long sigh as he held back the tears.

"What the hell did I do.." He whispered to hisself as he took a seat. His head immediately went into his hands. Elbows on his knees exposing his terrible posture.

I should have left him with his mom. This never would have happened if I left him with his mom.

He leaned back up and pressed his back against the cold hospital chair.

3 possible broken bones.. possible brain bleed.. what else are they gonna tell me.. cancer?

Mateo asked hisself as he looked down the hall to the O.R. doors.

Please hurry Rue.

~8 Hours Later~

Mateo with his eyes closed and head pressed against the cold wall listened patiently for the O.R. doors to open, waited patiently to hear Rues voice asking for Luca, waited patiently to hear the doctors say that he is okay, waited patiently to see his smile.

"Mr.Antinori?" He heard as he snapped his eyes open and looked over at the O.R. doors as a doctor walked over to him.

"Yes?" He asked as he stood up quickly walking towards the doctor and meeting him halfway.

"Luca is in recovery. He did great through the whole surgery. There was a small brain bleed but he fixed it easily. He only broke his arm and sprain his ankle, no major breaks or tears. Your son is one lucky kid." The doctor smiled.

Mateo let out a huge sigh of relief and hugged the doctor.

"Thank you so, so much!" Mateo beamed. "Can I see him?"

The doctor nodded and motioned for Mateo to follow him as he lead him to Lucas room.

The doctor opened the door and allowed Mateo to walk through and left after Mateo got through the door.

Luca laid in the hospital bed with a cast on his arm and ice on his ankle.

Luca slowly opened his eyes as he looked around the room and made eye contact with his dad.

"Hi daddy.." He spoke softly.

"Hi buddy." Mateo responded cautiously. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine." Luca answered. "Is mommy gonna come?" He asked with hope filled eyes.

"Maybe.." Mateo answered softly as he walked over to the side of Lucas bed and sat on the chair. "Just get some rest, when you wake up she might just be here." Mateo tried to reassure him.

Luca nodded and allowed his eyes to slowly begin to close.

Mateo leaned back in the chair and stared at the blank ceiling. He then allowed his own eyes to slowly close and he to drifted off to sleep.

~~
Word count: 817
Soo what did y'all think?

Don't be a silent reader, comment what you think!

Thanks for almost 50k!