°•eight•°

"Blessed be God, father of our lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in Grace," Hershel speaks.

I stay between Andrea and Glenn until its my turn to set a rock upon the pile.

"Shane, will you speak for Otis?" Hershel asks.

"I'm not good at it. I'm sorry," dad denies.

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments," Patricia cries, "Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning."

I sneak a peak at Maggie who forces a smile upon seeing my gaze fall on her. Her sister, Beth, silently cries beside her.

"We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up. 'We've got to save the boy.' See, that's what he said. He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead. 'Run,' he said. He said, 'I'll take the rear. I'll cover you.' And when I looked back-" dad stops himself.

He looks to Patricia and she smiles softly through her tears. Dad steps forward, limping to the wheelbarrow full of rocks. He picks one up.

"If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning, it was his," And he sets the rock down firmly.

--

Seeing everyone being preoccupied, I take the chance and run to the house. I go straight to Carl's room seeing only Patricia and Carl talking.

"Hey," Carl smiles upon seeing me at the door.

I smile also and Patricia stands.

"I'll give you time. Anything gets to hurting you just holler all right?" She asks.

Carl nods and fixes the sheet across his chest. Patricia pats my shoulder as she walks out the room.

I cautiously walk to him, afraid that even if I step on the wrong floorboard I'd hurt him.

When I finally reach his bed side I sit in the seat Patricia was previously in.

"How're you feeling?" I ask, not knowing what else to really ask.

"Like I got shot," he smartly replies.

"How's that feel?"

"It was like, my insides were on fire," he says.

"Well that sounds nice," I say sarcastically.

"Paradise really," He says.

And for the first time since the world went down, my best friend and I laughed together.

He notices this, speaking softly, "I miss this."

I sigh, looking to my lap.

"I miss you," Carl rephrases.

"I miss you, too," I admit.

"Then, why?" he frowns, "Why ignore me?"

"I thought.. I thought I was in the way," I carefully explain.

"I need you beside me. You're never in my way as long as your beside me," he points out.

"I know," I mutter, "I'm sorry."

"Just promise me you won't leave again. You can't," he demands.

"Okay," I agree, looking over him, "But.."