°•eighteen•°

Flashback- Two years ago

"Glenn! Glenn are you okay?" Maggie shouts, hearing a walker and growling and Glenn grunting.

She bolts through the store, her gun ready to fire. The noises stop and it pushes her to run faster in fear. Once she's made it to the other side of the store, she spots him hunched over a body, a blood soaked knife in his hand.

"She had a shirt like this back at the Atlanta camp.. I just thought.." He trails off.

Maggie scans the body at Glenn's feet, dark blonde hair with a teal shirt on. She couldn't be any older than fourteen.

"Glenn, not every young, blonde walker we come across could be her," She tells him.

"I thought it would be this time, considering the date," he only shrugs.

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"It's her birthday today. I think, anyway. If I kept count right it should be today. She's fourteen today. Can you believe that?" he turns to face Maggie, a tear pulling down his face, "My Jade is fourteen today."

Maggie can only kneel beside Glenn as he tucks his head and allows more tears to cascade down his face.

"She had a birthday back at the Atlanta camp. Only Carl and I remembered. Shane- Shane didn't even remember his own daughter's birthday. He was probably too busy with Lori," he trails off with a hint of disgust in his voice.

"She didn't want to think about it being her birthday. but I was still able to get her something. When I got to camp that first day, she was reading a book. She told me that fairytales were her favorite. When we were on a run, Daryl and I found this daycare center. Found this giant book with a bunch of the stories in it. She read it every night or had me read it. Of course after Shane found it, he didn't want her to have it. He said it took up too much space in her bag. That was the first day I ever saw her talk back to him," Glenn wipes his eyes with his shirt sleeve and takes a deep breath.

"That day at the farm. When she said they had that fight. When she cut her hand. I wanted to kick his ass. I- I wanted to kill him. If you didn't stop me before I got out the door, I think I might have," He admits, remembering the last night before the farm fell.

"I don't think I would've blamed you. Believe me, I wanted nothing more than to snap his neck," Maggie reveals.

"Mags.. How did this happen? I gave everything I could have given to this group. I do all the good I possibly can and what do I get? My daughter dead?" He asks, anger fueling his words to the point he doesn't realize what he's said until Maggie speaks up.

"Glenn," She trails off the phrase not leaving her mind.

"What?" He asks, oblivious.

"You just called Jade your daughter," She says with raised eyebrows. Glenn pauses and plays back his own words in his head.

"Yeah," he nods, "I did."

--

Now- Jade POV

"How did you get here?" Glenn asks, still not releasing me.

"I'll explain later, long story and we don't have much time," I tell him.

"Right, come on," He nods to the door, finally releasing me, keeping a hand between my shoulder blades.

"You need something," I tell him.

He nods and looks around before his eyes drop to the broken chair that was just holding him captive moments ago. He walks to it and grabs the chair leg that has a bit of a point on it from it breaking before.