°•ten•°

"Where are you going?" Maggie asks as I jog down the steps.

"My dad and I are going to have lunch," I answer while pulling my hair up in a ponytail but ending up with or falling over my face.

"Here," she motions and laughs. I sit in the floor in front of her, her being on the couch, and allow her to put my hair up.

"So you and your dad are hanging out today?" She asks pulling the band out of my hair.

I breathe a small, "Yeah."

"Haven't heard you talk about him in awhile."

"Haven't been with him in awhile. Kinda scared to actually talk to him."

"Why's that?"

"He hasn't talked to me ever since Glenn explained what happened at the store that day," I say, internally shivering at the memory.

"What'd he say?"

"Just- nothing," I avoid.

"Sweetheart," she finishes my hair and pulls me beside her, "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

I just look to my fumbling thumbs. I feel as though Maggie would be the only person I could tell the truth to.

I haven't told anyone, not even Glenn, what Lori told me. I couldn't imagine what Glenn would do if I told him what happened and now that I was going to have lunch with the same man that violated Lori.

When I don't answer she brushes a loose strand of my hair back and cups my chin for me to look at her.

"Right?" She repeats.

"Mhm," I nod.

"So anything you wanna tell me?"

"Nuh-uh," I shake my head. She sighs but nods.

"Okay, be careful out there," she says as I stand.

"We're not leaving the farm," I say.

"I know. Just be careful."

--

I awkwardly reposition my legs for the ninth time as dad takes food out of a bag. We sit in an uncomfortable silence at the corrals.

"Got your favorite," dad slightly whispers.

I look over and he shakes a small can of sour cream and onion chips. A smile threatens to take over my mouth. If not for the awkwardness around us, I would have.

"You haven't been in the tent lately. Where have you been?" He asks passing them to me.

"Maggie's room. I was starting to catch a cold and so she's letting me stay with her. She said winter is coming so I shouldn't be in the cold," I answer while opening the can.

Once I finish speaking, I take a chip into my mouth. It crunches more than usual as it's nearly stale but good nonetheless.

"Didn't think of telling me?"

"You weren't around. I looked for you the other day and Carol told me you and Andrea went on a run. Didn't think of telling me?" I play back at him.

"It was an emergency run," he simply answers with a shrug.

"Why did you ask me to come here? You have barely even talked to me in four days. What changed?"

"I- we need to talk," He rubs his head, his jaw clenching.

"About me not listening to you about the safety, right?"

"No. Well, kind of. It's because of that and a couple other things."