°•twenty-seven•°

"You think the Governor will talk? To Rick I mean," Kate asks as we have ventured outside to put more ammunition in their places.

"I don't know. I'm wondering more on who went with him. He would never go alone to something like this," I say.

The first in mind is Martinez. Without Merle being there, Martinez is his next in line.

"Shump, Martinez, Hayley.. God only knows," She sighs, "Maybe Milton."

"You think Milton would be able to man up and get his nose out of a book long enough to do anything else?" I ask.

Milton and I never spoke much but from what I did know about him, he didn't like being in the center of conflict. He'd much rather listen to sound waves and study a leaf than pick up a gun, let alone use it.

"He's gotta do something. Besides, Governor needs him more than he lets on," Kate says as we begin our walk back inside.

"For what?" I ask, feeling like I was missing something.

"He's gotta document it," She chuckles nudging me with her elbow.

I smile lightly and nod. Somebody's got to I guess.

"Paul might," I mutter, risking a look in her direction.

I told her he was there that night with Glenn, Maggie, and I. Neither of us could believe it.

"I was trying not to think about that," she sighs. I nod, sadly agreeing.

Paul and Kat were already friends when I got to Woodbury. And Brian and Paul were roommates. So, when the Governor introduced me to Brian, it was only a matter of time before I met Kate and Paul. As Kate and I grew closer, we began to room together.

Katie must've have picked up on my thoughts as she looks at me knowingly.

"Do you think Brian knows?" She asks hesitantly.

"No," I immediately answer, "He was just as unsure about the place as I was."

"Do you think he could get out? Find us?" She asks, a small glimmer of hope in her eyes.

"Yeah, I wish. It's not like he'll just run up on us in the woods or something."

"Do you miss him? Regret leaving him behind?" she questions.

When Kate and I walked back in, Carl was sitting on the steps, his head in his hands.

"I'd regret not coming here more," I answer.

I look to Kate momentarily and she nods, seeing where I was looking.

"Go," she whispers, I give a grateful smile and walk to Carl.

"Everything okay?" I ask, crossing my arms on the hand rail beside him, looking down at him.

"It came to blows, finally," He groans slowly looking up.

"What did?" I ask, my eyebrows crinkling in confusion.

"Glenn and Merle. Fought in the cafeteria, down the steps. Took all of us to get 'em apart," He explains while giving me a sympathetic smile and setting his hand on top of mine.

A lump formed in my throat and I couldn't find the words in my head to speak aloud.

--

I was unable to make eye contact with neither Glenn nor Merle as we all crowded in the room once Rick, Daryl, and Hershel returned.

"So I met this Governor. Sat with him for quite a while," Rick begins to explain our current dilemma.

"Just the two of you?" Merle asks from the back.