°•twenty-nine•°

The silence that over took everyone the next morning was cruel and punishing. As we all helped each other pack our belongings and stow away each item into a vehicle, nobody said a word. After the time we'd spent together, we have all began to become in sync with one another so words were not necessary. Daryl and I made eye contact each time I would hand over another load of supplies to Beth, who was in charge of storing everything in one of our getaway cars, but it wouldn't last as we'd quickly look away soon after.

It was a cycle of me going from the inside of the prison, passing Glenn who kept the door open for me, continuously getting taken off guard by the cool wind, lugging the bag or box to Beth, quick eye contact with Daryl, then turning back around only to come face to face with either Carl or Kate who were also taking our things to Beth. Once everything was packed, I made my way over to Glenn and Maggie who were putting on the last of their gear.

"Hey," I whisper softly. Maggie looks up from her helmet and gives a small smile.

"Hey, sweetheart," she whispers back and pulls me into a hug.

"We're about to leave," I tell her even though I'm sure she already knew. She sighs and before she fully pulls away, kisses my cheek.

"You be careful up there, okay?" she says, her voice shaking with emotion. I nod and she smiles, running her hand through my hair.

"Hey kiddo," Glenn finally speaks up once Maggie and I are separated.

"Dad," I greet half heartily. He too pulls me into a hug, laying a soft kiss on top of my head.

"Everything's gonna work out, you just take care of yourself and the rest you're with," he reassures me.

"I will," I promise.

I was going to be with Beth, Hershel, Carl, Judith, and Kate in hideaway while the rest scared away Woodbury during their attack. I knew Glenn trusted me to keep the rest of the family safe, but I wasn't entirely sure I trusted myself due to previous failures.

"Love you," Glenn says, snapping me out of my daydream.

"Love you," I reply, he hugs tightly once more before we let go.

"I love you," Maggie says, following up quickly.

"Love you.." I trail off, biting my lip.

"You can say it. I'd be honored," She smiles genuinely.

I smile too and rush back into her arms.

"Love you, mom," I finally say, meaning each word I spoke to the two.

--

We'd been hiding out for nearly an hour before the gunfire began. Kate jumped and Beth grabbed her hand causing Kate to smile softly at her. Carl on the other hand became more tense than he already was. I could only move my hand to rest on my gun that's in the holster on my side. Carl and I were closest to the view of the prison, staying ducked down behind the brush and keeping still.

"I should be there," Carl mutters, his posture staying strong and tight.

"No, we need you here," I tell him and he looks over to me, "I need you here."

Our words stop and the gunfire below continues as we look over each other. I expect him to fight against my words but instead he nods, letting a quiet 'Okay' slip through his lips and we look back down to where the fight continued.

There wasn't much we could see but we could easily hear the bullets flying and ricocheting off vehicles. After nearly ten minutes by my guess, it became quiet and the Woodbury vehicles drove away hastily.