Remember

The car stopped.

That was the last thing that Minah felt before a hand stroked her cheek, presumably to wake her up. She turned away and opened her eyes, her sight met by the sun still up and bright, even though it was already past two. When she gazed upon Xiumin after rubbing her face of the remaining sleep, he seemed embarrassed and was looking down at his lap, before quickly opening the door on his side and retrieving their bags at the trunk.

Minah removed her seatbelt and got out as well, only noticing that they were parked just in front of Xiumin’s family house – or mansion, to be exact. It was bigger than she had expected, estimated four times as big as their own home.

“This is it?” Minah asked as she reached for her own bag so Xiumin wouldn’t have to carry it. She looked up at the highest window on the third floor, and wondered why such a big place was needed when Xiumin’s parents and his sister were the only ones living in it.

“Yes.” Xiumin nodded, looking up as well. “I like our home in Gwangju more.”

“Gwangju?”

“Yeah, I lived there as a kid.” Xiumin nodded. “Why?”

“I’m a native.” Minah answered.

“That says something, doesn’t it?” Xiumin stated slowly, a small smile forming on his lips. “Maybe we were meant to meet years later.”

Minah just glanced at him before proceeding to the front door. Were you meant to give me this kind of pain?

Xiumin pressed the doorbell a couple of times before a stout lady in a uniform opened for both of them, widening her eyes at his presence, as if she couldn’t believe he was real and was standing there right in front of her. “Minseok, is that you?”

“Are Umma and Appa home?” He asked, grabbing Minah’s hand and pushing past the lady so they could get inside. The woman was obviously a hanyeo based on how she was dressed, and by the way she gaped on Xiumin from head to toe, Minah wondered how long he really was away from home.

“Your father is in his office and your mother is in the garden.” The woman answered, before turning to her. “And who might you be, young lady?”

“I’m Minah, ajumoni.” She bowed, shaking her hand so Xiumin would let go. Minah wasn’t looking at him, but he let out a heavy sigh with that gesture, a little bit hurt. She used to like it when he twined his fingers with hers, when did she turn so bitter towards the little things that made her heart race?

Xiumin threw his large bag on the floor and left Minah with the woman, probably to go to the backyard and find his mother.

“He hasn’t changed one bit.” She shook her head, walking to the bag to pick it up. Minah aided quickly and picked Xiumin’s bag up so the lady wouldn’t have to carry it. It was heavy, but she didn’t have the heart to let the woman pick up after Xiumin’s dissatisfaction.

“It’s okay, I’ll carry it.” Minah smiled. “Just tell me where to put it.”

“Oh no dear, Minseok’s going to be upset if I make you carry that.”

“I can handle him.” Minah assured with a nod.

***

Youngsook – the hanyeo Minah talked to – led her inside a guest room after Xiumin’s orders.

It was all overwhelming for her, especially when she saw the bedroom she’d be staying in for the weekend. It wasn’t one bit similar to her bedroom at home, from the size to the display to its own installed bathroom. The floor was lined with polished wood boards and even if the place was supposed to be occupied by guests, it was obviously cleaned everyday and well maintained.