Stars

“Does he know you’re going to be there?”

“I don’t think so... unless you already told him.”

Fifty kilometers in from Seoul, Minah had been fisting the fabric of her skirt nonstop, nervous of how everything would turn out tonight. She hated wearing those kinds of clothes but she had to, unless she wanted to be a laughing stock at Jinkyung’s engagement party.

Eunri picked that piece of clothing for her, a long sleeved, peach, lace dress, suiting her pretty face and petite body but never her personality. If people wore what’s inside their souls, Minah would most definitely be in black all day long.

She was sat at the backseat of Luhan’s car with him driving and Eunchae on the front passenger seat, the two looking as best as they could ever be. The guy was naturally handsome and his best friend was just gorgeous, almost making Minah smack Luhan in the head for not even trying to take her out on a real date as a couple. She swore they were suited for each other, but now wasn’t the time to stress on that matter.

Phone in hand, Minah swirled it around and looked outside the window, pulse racing when she saw the familiar mansion she visited a few days ago. A bunch of other guests’ cars were parked outside and on the front yard, lights set around the house for a beautiful atmosphere and servants walking in and out to take care of the visitors’ needs.

Luhan went out the car and opened the door for Eunchae first, holding her hand like the princess she was that night. When he opened Minah’s, she looked up at him in all anxiousness, not because she was afraid of falling on her face in heels, but because all the things she rehearsed and would say to Xiumin that night was slowly fading out of her mind from the overwhelming feeling of just being there, right in front of his family home.

“Does he know I’m here?” Minah asked as she held Luhan’s hand and went out the vehicle.

“You said yourself that he doesn’t.” Luhan scoffed. “Your hand is shaking.”

“Can you blame me? I’m fucking nervous.”

“Unnie.” Eunchae called. “Watch the language, please.”

“Eunchae, in all due respect, I don’t think I’d be able to control my words tonight.”

“Yeah, let the lady curse.” Luhan nodded with a mocking grin. “It’s her nature.”

“Fuck you.” Minah rolled her eyes.

Eunchae shook her head and went ahead of them, making the driveway look like a fashion runway just by looking at her walk. Minah was still hesitant about going in, but if she didn’t talk to him today, when would she have another chance to do so?

Her heart pounded in her ears, totally drowning the sweet music from the live violinists playing in the living room. The place had completely transformed; no more chairs and coffee table, no more massive television – she had no idea where it was placed – and no more fancy paintings. It was all decorations and tall tables for cocktails, which the adults in the room so obviously enjoyed.

She wasn’t planning to drink anytime soon, but one martini wouldn’t hurt, just so she could find the courage to speak to Xiumin when she finds him. Minah quickly grabbed one from a servant’s tray and downed it all in one gulp, and when she turned around, Luhan and Eunchae were nowhere to be found.

Minah looked around and explored the house full of people, celebrating the nearing nuptials of Xiumin’s sister. She found her with whom she guessed was the lucky man to marry her, judging by the way his hand wrapped protectively around her waist. They both were with their parents at the garden, smiling at guests one after another.