Message

The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes was a white ceiling, then some white curtains, and then a person dressed in white. For a moment, Minah thought she was already dead, but those two girls dressed in uniforms waving at her by the glass door proved that she was still on earth living.

“How are you feeling?” The lady beside her asked, handing her a glass of water.

“I’m a little lightheaded, ma’am, but I think I’m good.” Minah replied as she sat up. She smiled at Eunri and Nara to give them assurance that she was okay, because she felt like she slept for a long time and her friends had to know that she was stable now. “How long was I asleep?”

The school nurse checked her watch and smiled at Minah. “For about an hour. You’re excused from all your classes for the rest of the day, so don’t worry about that. Also, your mother will be here soon.”

“Did you really have to call her?” Minah asked, rubbing her nape.

“I have to check your blood pressure now.” She said, completely ignoring Minah’s question. She was shaking her head at her vital signs, especially when she read the meter. “For how many hours do you normally sleep at night?”

“Um... I’m not sure.” Minah shrugged. “Nine hours tops, I think.”

“Have you been eating well lately?” She asked again. Minah gave her a rueful look and slowly shook her head. “Your blood pressure’s really low because you aren’t getting the right amount of nutrients you need.”

“Sorry.”

“You really should be eating well, especially that you have exams on Monday and you need it for thinking properly.”

After a pretty long sermon and more checking of vital signs, the nurse let Nara and Eunri in so they could at least see how she was doing. Physically, Minah was just fine now that she had been taken to the clinic, but the three of them knew how she was emotionally.

“Here, eat this.” Eunri handed her a chocolate bar and even peeled it open for her. “Sugar is instant energy.”

“I’m not hungry.” Minah shook her head, earning herself a pair of scowls.

“You’re starving.” Nara commented, shoving a piece of chocolate in her mouth. “Delicious, isn’t it?”

“Wouldn’t you two be in trouble for visiting me here?” Minah grabbed the bar and bit a large piece on it, making her friends roll their eyes but while smiling. She realized how hungry she really was; now thinking of a big bowl of curry ramyun just for her to enjoy.

“No. We get excuse letters as well for bringing you here.” Eunri stated, but with hesitance. “I mean, Xiumin brought you here but he was gone right after.”

Minah nodded and looked down at the floor. “Where is he?”

“I think he went home.” Nara replied, sitting beside her on the clinic bed. “He so badly wanted to wait here until you wake up, but he told us that you probably didn’t want to see him.”

“He said that?”

“Well, not exactly, but something similar.” Nara patted her back and flashed a hopeful smile. “He also told us to never leave you here.”

“He suggested the chocolate.” Eunri piled on. “Xiumin cares so much for you, Minah.”

Minah didn’t say anything, but she did nod.

“Don’t you miss him?”

“Of course I do.” Minah whispered. “So much, I feel like I could die from it.”