The Akuma Ward

In which Stan and Ford attempt to find the "twins", ponder over what happened and Stan eats a croissant.

((Ford))

"Hurry Stanley!" I yelled out furiously.

My brother was standing there looking quizzical.

"STANLEY!" I shouted even louder, finally catching his attention.

"What?"

I couldn't even believe he could just stand there so blankly. Before I spoke again, I took another moment to further take in our surroundings. We appeared to be in what looked like a medical facility.

"Stanley, do you know where we are?" I asked him.

Stan's eyes glazed over for a moment in confusion before he sat up and adjusted his glasses. He coughed loudly to clear his throat and sat back, "I think we're in a medical tent. I dunno what happened but we ended up in an ambulance...wait...where are the twins?! Tell me you contacted them!"

He shook with anger. I paused...how long had we been out for? That didn't matter right now. We had to find the kids. I shook my head at him and watched him shudder more with pure rage.

A nurse came in with a trolley full of various pastries, as I too sat upright.

"Good morning sirs, I hope you are both well. Here is your breakfast and the ward doctor will be round to inspect your condition shortly." she smiled and poured us both a coffee.

"Hey, what happened, where are we and most importantly of all, where are my niece and nephew?!" Stan snapped at the young woman.

She looked taken aback as she placed a croissant next to Stan, "You were both caught up in last night's akuma attack. This is the akuma ward. Since you both seem to be tourists, I wouldn't expect you to know that."

"The hell is an akuma?" Stan fired back immediately, taking a very angry bite out of his croissant.

"They are the evil minions of Hawk Moth. You are both safe now. You should be discharged this afternoon."

I took my chance to speak to her, "By any chance, you haven't seen two teenagers have you? Twins, brunette, one girl with a bright sweater and a boy with a trucker hat and flannel shirt? We have to find them."

The nurse sighed heavily and looked at me, "This is one of our largest wards sir, they could be anywhere. If you give me their names I can look it up on the ward directory and see if they have visited."

"Oh yes, that would be wonderful thank you. Their names are Mabel and Mason Pines, Mason may have given his name as Dipper?"

The nurse nodded and walked off to check. Stan scowled at me through his croissant and spoke in a deep, gruff tone, "You best find those kids. This is all your fault, we wouldn't be here if you didn't want to explore for your little science project."

"Stanley, the anomalies were growing out of hand. We had to do something. Why not make a vacation out of it?" I offered up to him.

His expression remained unchanged, "Well we've been out who knows how long and the kids are missing. Some vacation."

Before our small quarrel could escalate further, the nurse returned. Both Stan and I sat there in anticipation as she opened her mouth to speak, "I've checked our registers and I can confirm that we had patients matching those names and descriptions checked into one of our departments. They were down for bloods. The only thing that's written down as different is that they are logged as not being related. Mason is logged as being related to one Marinette Dupain-Cheng. They were discharged last night and advised to take it easy."

Both of us blinked in utter disbelief. The twins had been here so we had more of an idea of where they could be, but also they were suddenly not related?

"Sorry nurse, there has to be some mistake. Mason and Mabel are identical twins." I said to her.

She lifted up the paper on her clipboard and looked back at me, shaking her head, "You may think that but the records on file shown that Mason is a DNA match with Marinette Dupain-Cheng. I know her parents. They own a lovely little bakery a few minutes walk from here. Made my wedding cake!"

She flashed us her wedding ring smiling. With that, she wheeled off her trolley and left us along once again.

"T-This can't be true!" Stan growled, "We gotta go check out this bakery...now!"

"Yes, sounds as if it could be a sign of Bill Cipher leaking back into our plain of existence." I nodded.

"Whaddaya mean by that?"

"I'll...tell you on the way...first, ready for a little hospital break out?" I asked him.

A mischievous smirk befell my brother's face, "I've broken out of more prisons than I've had failed products, this'll be a cinch! Let's go get those kids!"

And with that we began to plot our escape...