Chapter 8: Movie and Burger kind of Guy

Amy Juerguns walked through Grant High's hallways carrying her book bag and a water bottle. She felt more energetic today, for some odd reason. She figured it was because she got a good night's sleep last night and a great breakfast this morning. Not only that but she felt... happy. Her eyes were wide, she had a spring in her step and her smile spread across her face.

She reached her locker, and threw her heavy books inside. She had a mirror on the inside of her locker and she checked to see exactly what she looked like... she looked good. She smiled with satisfaction and brushed her bangs out of her face. She closed her locker to be greeted with the faces of Madison and Lauren.

"Oh, hi guys." Amy said eyeing them wondering why their arms were crossed, eyebrows raised.

"Hi Amy." Madison said suspiciously. Amy smiled nervously.

"So you and Ricky huh?" Lauren asked with attitude. Amy bit her lip.

"N-n-no." Amy stuttered.

"You stutter when you lie Amy!" Madison pointed her finger at Amy.

"Don't lie to us Amy, we're your best friends!" Lauren said shaking her head. Amy just rolled her eyes. She grabbed both of them by the hand and pulled them into the girls bathroom. She walked in and looked under the bathroom stalls to see if anyone was in them. It was clear.

She turned to face her two best friends and took a deep breath.

"Okay, me and Ricky have decided we would give us a try." Amy said trying to calm down her two best friends.

"Are you kidding me! That lying, cheating, man whore!" Madison screamed.

"Excuse me Madison, that lying, cheating, man whore happens to be the father of my baby!" Amy said. She crossed her arms and glared at the two girls.

"Exactly. He got you pregnant, he doesn't care Amy! He lies and cheats, it's what he does!" Lauren said again. She always tried to be the voice of reason, but she failed. Big time.

"Sure, I got pregnant at the wrong time, but I love my son! I don't regret it. I can't imagine my life without John!" Amy was flaming now.

"Amy, you don't love Ricky though..." Madison said, calming down a little bit now.

"I love him as the father of my son, I like him as a boyfriend. It will be hard to be with him and I understand that, but when you like someone... you like them. I'm not saying we are serious, I'm not guaranteeing it will work out but I'm saying I'm willing to give it a shot. A lot has happened this week and last week that changed everything, and we got through it together. I seen a different side of him guys..." Amy sighed, "I liked that side of him. I liked that he showed me that side of him because I know for a fact he has never done that for anyone else before. So don't go judging me and telling me things I should or should not do. I'm a big girl now, it's time I make my own decisions and choose what I do or not do. I'm done with being judged, I'm done with Ricky being judged! We know each other best and we know what we go through together... understand. Please." Amy shrugged.

She had never said anything like that before. For once, she knew what she wanted and she actually believed what she was saying.

It was the truth.

In all it's entirety.

......

Amy sat down at the cement picnic tables at lunch. She had some homework on the table, a bottle of water beside her and her cell phone on the other side. She has just got off the phone with the nursery checking in on John, she loved doing that.

She was beginning to answer a calculus question when she heard footsteps behind her.

She ignored them thinking it was another person when a shadow covered her sunlight.