Chapter 14: Getting Back Up, After Falling Down

The sun was pouring through Ricky's window, the birds were chirping, sirens were racing past the Butcher Shop and morning traffic flooded the town. Suddenly, John's cries filled the room and Amy and Ricky both groaned in unison.

"I'll get him." Ricky offered. Amy smiled and cuddled closer in Ricky's pillow.

Amy and Ricky had both shared a bed that night, and nothing happened. Besides making out of course, but Amy made sure Ricky had gotten the idea that nothing was going to happen. She wasn't ready for that part in their relationship yet. She wasn't sure exactly when she was going to be ready, but she knew she would know.

Ricky picked John up out of the crib and cradled him against his chest. He smiled at the infant in total awe about John's calmness once he was in the arms of his father. Ricky gently kissed his forehead, unaware of Amy who had one eye open; staring at Ricky and John. She felt her heart flutter at the sight of them together; Ricky was truly amazing with John and that was a fact.

Ricky walked over to his bed and crawled back into bed, still holding John. He laid against the headboard, still starring into the eyes of his baby boy. "I love you John."

"I love him too." Amy whispered. Ricky's eyes darted to Amy, only to find her gazing at him.

"Amy, I really do love him and nothing could change that."

"I love him too, I'm his mom and nothing can change that."

"I'm his father and I have never felt this way before. I never thought I would be holding my son in my arms at any point in my life. Let alone with you beside me-in my bed- Amy Jurgeuns."

Amy smiled and bit her lip when Ricky batted his eyelashes. A part of her wished he was saying the same things about how he loves her and such to her, but she didn't want to rush it either. She wasn't going to force him to say something he obviously wasn't ready so say.

"If someone told me three years ago that I- Amy Jurgeuns- would be laying in Ricky Underwood's bed, gazing upon my son and his father, I would think they were crazy. But now, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I know, I'm sappy and it isn't you to listen to it or let alone say it, but it's the truth."

"Amy, you know I don't so sappy, I never have."

"I know, I just wish I could know what you feel... what you're thinking. You are a total mystery Ricky Underwood."

"You know it." He smirked. Amy smiled and rolled over.

"Ugh, it feels so good to not get up to go to school." Amy stretched out.

Ricky laughed. "You've never skipped school?"

"Of course I have, just not for awhile." Amy explained.

"I'm hungry, want some breakfast?" Ricky asked.

"Well yeah, I'm starving." Amy chucked.

"Amy Juerguns, how can you go from all sappy and pouring your heart out to me to enjoying sleeping in, with a huge smile plastered across your face? I think you are the true mystery here."

"Oh please!" Amy scoffed, "you are the mystery, Ricky."

"I am, aren't I?"

"Yeah. You are beautiful yet totally confusing and deep and dark. You are a beautiful person, Ricky. You've just been through a lot."

"That's the understatement of the year." Ricky smirked. "Wait, you said I'm beautiful?"

"Yeah."

"You are the one to talk, Amy." Ricky ran his finger tips across her cheek bone. Amy felt shivers run down her arms and she felt the same desire she felt last night.