Chapter 1 | Sophie

Disclaimer: all of these characters belong to Shannon Messenger except the random ones I made up to go along with the plot that play absolutely no role in the story.. I only came up with the plot

Sophie frowned at her reflection in the mirror. 

Biana, one of her best friends, looked at Sophie with her teal eyes. "What's wrong?" she asked, "you look great. You shouldn't worry."

"That's the problem. I'm too fancy. Have you ever seen me willingly wear a dress or let you do my makeup?" Sophie was wearing a coral colored medium length dress and black flats. Biana had done her makeup and curled her long blonde hair.

Marella, Sophie's other best friend, stood up from where she was braiding her curly blonde hair. "You have a point, but so does Biana. When else are we gonna get the chance to do something like this? And besides, it's just for a few hours."

"I guess," Sophie said, still feeling unsure. Why did they have to have a whole ceremony for the soulmate charms? 

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door to Sophie's room. She opened it. It was her adoptive mom, Edaline. She smiled.

"You all look so beautiful! We need to get some pictures now. The ceremony starts in an hour," Edaline said. She left the room.

Marella groaned. "Why do we need pictures? My mom already has about a million and one of me hung up and she doesn't need any more."

Sophie shrugged. She guessed that there would already be a ton of pictures taken at the ceremony.

Biana stood up, smoothing out her long navy blue dress and running her fingers through her dark hair. "Let's go!" she exclaimed, grabbing Sophie and Marella by their arms.

••••••••••

The three girls stood in front of the huge marble building where the ceremony was always held. 

Sophie couldn't help but wonder if her soulmate was there. They probably weren't, but she hoped they were.

The parents could only go as far as the door outside the room where the ceremony was, so they took a few more pictures and sent them inside.

Sophie too busy staring at the huge domed ceiling to avoid bumping into a boy with messy blond hair and an annoyed face. He muttered  a quick "excuse me" before hurriedly walking away.

Sophie shook her head. She couldn't believe how rude some people were. 

Biana had to separate from Marella and Sophie and sit with the V's, because her last name, Vacker, started with a V.

Marella split off from Sophie a little bit later to join the R's. Her last name was Redek.

Sophie walked a little while longer before finding the seat labeled Sophie Foster. She spotted her cousin, Dex, on the way to her seat, and waved to him.

Eventually, everyone found their way to their seats and the ceremony started.

An old man stepped up to a podium and read off the first name. "Tara Aacker"

There was some scattered applause, and a tall girl with dark hair hopped up to get her small white box. Then she went back to her seat. 

Sophie got bored listening to all the names until Dec was called, when she cheered for him. Then Sophie went back to staring into space.

Before she knew it, her name was called. She stood up and walked towards the platform, almost feeling like she was floating. Sophie saw Biana waving at her.

She was handed her box and went back to her seat. Inside was half of a silver charm with her name, Sophie Foster, engraved onto it in what definitely wasn't her handwriting. She frowned at it. 

The boy next to her must have seen her looking confused, because he leaned over and whispered, "It's your soulmate's handwriting. That's why we had to send in that sheet of paper that we were supposed to write the alphabet on."

Sophie nodded and whispered, "Thank you" before turning back around. She had wondered what that was for.

She kept staring at the many people walking up to get their charms and walking silently back to their seats. Marella was called, and Sophie cheered again. Marella walked back to her seat.

Soon, the announcer called for "Keefe Sencen" and everyone looked around the room to see where he was. Sophie came to the conclusion that was not there.

The announcer stared into the crowd for a few seconds before the same boy from earlier, the one that had run into Sophie, came running through the doors.

He walked down to the podium and took his box. Keefe walked back to his seat.

After a few more names, it was back to dragging on for forever. 

Eventually, Biana's name was called and Sophie cheered for her friend, hearing Marella and a few others cheer too.

The ceremony ended after three long hours. Everyone finally got to go outside and get back to their families.

Someone made an announcement that there would be some sort of fancy party, and Sophie asked Edaline and her dad, Grady, if she could go. They said yes, and so did her friends's parents. 

The party turned out to be incredibly boring except for the fact that there were macarons. Everyone just kinda stood there and talked.

Eventually, Sophie managed to slip away and go outside.

••••••••••

A/N: hey guys! This is my first fanfic, so I apologize if anyone seems ooc. 

I know that there are barley any descriptions of anyone, but I tried to put those in there. 

Other than that, I promise I won't lose self confidence and delete this story.

Happy reading!

<3 Ivy