Chapter 9 | Sophie

Sophie stood up and brushed herself off. Keefe handed her back her soulmate charm, which had fallen off of the necklace.

"Thanks! I would have lost this is you weren't here," Sophie said, smiling at Keefe.

Keefe nodded half heartedly. "Yeah."

Sophie was confused. Yeah didn't make sense as an answer. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Keefe said, not really looking at Sophie.

"Keefe, I can tell that something's wrong," said Sophie, sighing and adjusting her hat.

"Nothing's wrong!"

Sophie sighed again. She wasn't going to get Keefe to tell her anything. 

Keefe eventually seemed to cheer up, and they kept skating, also known as falling. 

•••••••

Eventually, they both got freezing and Keefe drove Sophie home. She waved bye and ran back inside.

Jolie was sitting at the table. Sophie hadn't expected to see her. "I thought you left to go see Brant?"

Jolie shrugged. "I did. You were with Keefe for a looooong time." She wiggled her eyebrows.

Sophie groaned. "For the last time, I don't like him"

"I didn't say that."

Sophie's face burned red.

"After denial comes acceptance," Jolie said, sipping her tea.

Edaline walked into the room. "Hey Sophie! How's Keefe?"

Sophie shrugged. "He's fine."

Grady appeared, almost magically, next to Edaline. "Who's Keefe?"

"Sophie's friend, dear," Edaline said, turning to him, "Pay attention next time our daughter is talking to us."

Grady eyed Sophie suspiciously. Sophie didn't really know why.

Sophie got up and searched through the kitchen cabinets for hot chocolate mix. She found peppermint hot chocolate, so she heated up a mug of milk in the microwave. It beeped, and Sophie carried it to the table where Jolie was sitting, leaving Edaline and Grady in the kitchen.

Jolie laughed. "Dad is gonna come for you if you date Keefe."

"Jolie! I don't like him and I never will!" Sophie mixed in the hot chocolate mix.

"For someone with a photographic memory, you're very oblivious."

Sophie huffed and opened her phone. Biana was ranting on their group chat again. Sophie didn't bother to read all of the texts, but she did see Fitz's name a couple times.

"Hey, do you have a necklace? The one with my soulmate charm on it broke," said Sophie, suddenly remembering.

Jolie nodded. "I'll go get it." She stood up and walked out of the room.

Sophie got up from the table, went  to the kitchen, and sat on one of the stools at the counter. Edaline glanced at her and went back to whatever she was doing. Sophie hopped up again and grabbed a bag of barbecue chips, and Iggy came zooming into the room when she opened the bag. Jolie came back with the necklace and stole Sophie's chips.

••••••••••

The next two months were pretty uneventful. January ended. Sophie and Keefe hung out a couple of times, but something still seemed just a little bit off about Keefe. Jolie went back to college.

Sophie and Marella spent Valentine's Day watching cheesy movies without Biana, who had started dating Dex. 

Sophie had half expected something else to happen on Valentine's Day, but apparently her life was just too boring.

A week into March, Keefe texted her.

•••••••••

Keefe: hey foster

Keefe: wanna go to Great America over the weekend

Sophie: Keefe it's the middle of March

Keefe: so? It's still warm

Sophie: I don't even think it's open

Keefe: it is I checked

Sophie: I'll ask my parents.

Sophie did not ask her parents at that moment. She asked them the next day. Edaline agreed immediately. Grady was skeptical, but he reluctantly gave the ok. 

•••••••••

That weekend, Sophie ran up to her room, followed by Iggy, and video called her friends. Biana picked up.

"What's up, Soph?"

Sophie shrugged. "Nothing really. I need your opinion on something."

"Ooh, this should be fun."

Sophie leaned her phone on her desk and held up a cream colored shirt with a daisy printed on it. "Would this be too fancy for... something?"

Biana gasped excitedly. "YOU'RE GOING ON A DATE?"

"No! I didn't say that. Is it too fancy?"

"I can't give you advice if you don't tell me what for."

Marella joined the video call. "What's up, and why did you feel the need to call me at 8:30 a.m. on a Saturday?"

Sophie laughed. "You sound like Biana. Oh, and is this too fancy?" She held up the shirt.

Marella shrugged. "Looks fine to me. What does Biana think?"

Biana sighed dramatically, although it wasn't the most dramatic sigh Sophie had ever heard. "Sophie here won't tell me what it's for, so, alas, I cannot give my opinion."

"Is it too fancy for going to Great America?" Sophie asked.

"No," Biana said. "Wait, who are you going to Great America with? Wait, are you going with Keefe?"

Sophie was only a little surprised that Biana had figured it out. "Maybe. Also, how did you come to that conclusion in like five seconds?"

"Because if you were doing with us, we would know. If you were going with family, you wouldn't really care about your outfit. If you were going with literally anyone except Keefe, you would have just thrown something on already." Biana looked proud of her analysis.

"She makes a good point," said Marella.

"Ok, maybe I'm going with Keefe but it's not a date!"

"Well then, goodbye Sophie who's going on a not-date with Keefe." Biana left the call. Marella left soon after her.

"Sophie!" Edaline called up to her, "Is Keefe gonna drive you?"

"Yeah!" she yelled back.

Soon, Keefe texted her that he was waiting outside, so Sophie hopped up, grabbed her (mini) backpack, said a quick bye to Grady and Edaline, and ran out to meet Keefe.

A/N: hey guys! I know it's not the weekend but I just wanna update before I forget. 

Also, for the next two weeks there will probably not be an update, so I'm sorry ab that. 

There's not much else to say.

Happy reading!

<3 Ivy