Chapter 12 | Keefe

Keefe had messed up. He shouldn't have asked Sophie to the dance. Now they were probably never gonna talk again because Fitz had decided to be an idiot and ask the one girl that Keefe definitely didn't like to the dance.

Keefe was sitting at the counter at Slurps and Burps, even though it was five thirty in the afternoon and he probably should have gone home by then. Him and Dex had become pretty good friends, so Keefe had another excuse to get away from his parents. He was still slightly mad at his dad for flat out saying that Keefe was irresponsible and shouldn't be trusted with anything, which included a dog.. Sure, that had been a few months ago and Keefe still visited Silveny, but still.

Dex poked Keefe's shoulder. "You still alive?" Keefe had been sitting in the exact same position for the past ten minutes.

"Yeah."

"Good. If you had died that would leave me with exactly two friends, which would be my girlfriend and my cousin."

The bell on the door rang.

"Hey Dex, Edaline sent me to get something for dinner. Do you guys have," Sophie paused and squinted at her phone, "three cups of sugar?"

"That's oddly specific, and yes, there should be some with the other baking stuff, where it always is. What's she making?"

"I don't know, but I'm pretty sure she's making mallowmelt for dessert. You guys are still coming, right?" Sophie yelled back from across the tiny store. She walked to the register and froze when she saw Keefe.

Keefe tried to act casual and pretend he didn't see her. Dex looked back and forth between them before slowly taking the sugar from Sophie.

After Sophie left, Keefe could breathe again. 

"What was that about?" Dex asked, clearly very confused.

"Nothing."

"Ok then." 

Keefe's phone buzzed. He almost thought it was Sophie, but convinced himself that she wouldn't text (or call) him. 

It was Sophie. 

Sophie: hi

Keefe: you don't need to apologize or anything. I get it. It's fine. 

Sophie: oh

Sophie: I'm still apologizing

Sophie: I shouldn't have just straight up told you I was going with Fitz. I'm sorry

Keefe: no seriously, it's fine. I don't care.

He was lying, just a little bit. 

Keefe: I mean, I do care, but not about who you're going with

Keefe: just don't listen to me

Sophie: Why

Keefe: Foster I'm warning you

Sophie: I have to go help with something

Sophie: this time I'll actually see you tomorrow and just not at the end of the day

Keefe turned his phone off and stood up. "I'm gonna go." He waved.

Dex waved as Keefe swung his backpack over his shoulder and left the store.

Keefe walked to his car. He didn't really know where he was going to go. He drove around for a while before spotting Fitz walking down the street, looking extremely annoyed and following Biana.

Keefe parked and ran towards Fitz. 

Fitz turned around sharply. "What do you want?" 

"You never said why you were mad at me. Actually, I have no idea why. You don't have to ever talk to me again, I'm just wondering why you stopped talking too me one day."

Fitz sighed in frustration. "You know why. Do I really have to explain it?" He walked away, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"I really don't!" Keefe yelled as Fitz ran to catch up to Biana. Now it was his turn to sigh in frustration.

•••••••

The next day, at school, Keefe avoided Fitz even more than he had before, if that was even possible. He decided to ditch the one class they had together, English. It wasn't like missing one class would make him fail, despite what his parents said.

Keefe sat on a metal bench outside the school building. It was surprisingly cold outside, despite it being halfway through March. He didn't really mind though. 

He was really bored, until someone opened the door and walked outside. Keefe sat up and peered at who it was. He let out a breath. 

It was just Sophie.

"Sophie?"

"Keefe?"

"What are you doing here?" they both asked at the same time.

"I'm ditching English. You've never really struck me as the type to ditch class. You keep surprising me, Foster."

Sophie's face turned red. "Actually, I'm looking for the nurse's office."

"It's not outside, if that's what you thought. What happened?"

"Biana told me it was quicker to go around outside than to walk around. And I'm supposed to give this to the nurse." She held up a yellow paper envelope.

"What's in there?" Keefe asked, trying to grab the envelope out of her hand.

Sophie shrugged. "No idea."

"Do you even know where the nurse's office is?"

"Uh... no."

"Well then, I'll take you there." Keefe stood up and started walking. "You coming?"

Sophie rolled her eyes a little and followed him. "Keefe, you don't have to do this."

"I have nothing better to do. Besides, someone has to make sure you don't run away."

"Says the boy who was ditching class."

"Shut up, Foster."

A/N: Hey guys!!!!!! I'm so so so so so so sorry for not updating for like two weeks but I keep forgetting. 

Anyways, I started watching Avatar (if you haven't seen that on tumblr), and it's great so far, but the worst part is (was?) Zuko's ponytail. It scares me.

There's not much else, so happy reading!

<3 Ivy