Chapter 3 | Sophie

Sophie definitely didn't expect to see Keefe at Biana's house, and certainly not with Fitz. 

She flopped down on Biana's bed. Marella flopped down next to her. "What's wrong?"

Sophie sighed. "Nothing."

Biana looked at Sophie suspiciously, then at Marella. "You know Keefe, right?"

Marella nodded. "He's Fitz's friend, right?"

"Yeah," said Biana, "and Sophie here saw him with Fitz, got confused, and ran away."

Marella sat up. "She's finally getting over Fitz! She's growing up!"

Sophie's face turned bright red. "I don't like Keefe! Or Fitz. I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sureeee," said Marella.

"Alright, as much as I love drama, I really don't want to talk about Sophie's not-crush on my brother, so let's do something else," said Biana.

"We could make cookies," Sophie suggested.

Marella and Biana agreed, and the three girls went to go bake chocolate chip cookies.

Sophie was doing all of the baking. Biana and Marella were studying their soulmate charms.

After the cookies were in the oven, Sophie took off her necklace to look at hers. The handwriting was messy. The o's were more of an oval shape than a circle, the line on the t in Foster was more like a dash, and all of the words were slightly slanted.

Marella's name was written in neat, slightly round letters. Biana's name was written with letters that looked more like a typewriter font than actual handwriting.

Eventually, the timer for the cookies dinged, and they took them out of the oven. 

"We should watch a movie," Biana suggested. Marella and Sophie agreed. They ended up watching some sequels to a cheesy romance movie that Biana had made them watch a year ago. 

Halfway through the movie, Sophie got up to get more cookies. When she reached the pan, there was only a few left.

"Guys, there's only like two cookies left," she said.

"Really?," Biana asked, walking over, "There was a lot more. Fitz!"

Fitz came running down the stairs. "What?", he asked, annoyed.

"Did you take the rest of our cookies?" Biana said.

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

"Are you absolutely, 100 percent sure?"

"Yes! Now can you leave me alone?"

"Did Keefe take the rest of our cookies?"

"No!" 

"Are you sure? I don't believe you. Keefe!"

Keefe appeared next to Fitz. Sophie focused on the cookie tray. It was suddenly very interesting.

"Keefe, did you take our cookies?" asked Biana.

Keefe hesitated, running a hand through his hair. "No."

"He's lying!" said Marella.

"Thank you, Capitan Obvious," said Biana, turning to Keefe, "Where are our cookies?"

Keefe shrugged. "I may or may not have eaten them."

••••••••••

Eventually, Biana decided that they could just make more cookies later.

The girls finished watching the movie. Sophie always found romance movies both bad and good at the same time. Bad because the main character always got the guy (or girl), good for the exact same reason. Real life also never had love triangles. At least, there were none Sophie could think of.

Later that night, they were all sitting in Biana's room. Marella kept getting distracted by something on her phone. Biana tried multiple times to peek at it, but Marella was very good at hiding it.

Biana gave up. The girls eventually fell asleep.

•••••••••

The next morning, they ate breakfast and Sophie and Marella went home. Sophie successfully avoided both Keefe and Fitz.

Grady, her adoptive dad, picked Sophie up. He brought her dog, Iggy, with him. Iggy was an Italian Greyhound, a smaller version of a Whippet, which was a smaller version of a Greyhound.

"How was the ceremony, kiddo?" asked Grady.

Sophie shrugged. "It was fine. Nothing exciting happened, except that someone nearly missed their name."

"At my ceremony, someone brought in a chicken and released it right in the middle of it."

"Was it you that brought the chicken?"

"No. Why would you say that?"

"You used to live on a farm and you run an animal shelter," Sophie laughed, "if anyone would have done it, it would be you."

"It definitely was not!" exclaimed Grady

Sophie and Grady spent the rest of the ride trying to figure out who it was that released the chicken.

Back at the house, Sophie asked Edaline. "You and Grady were in the same ceremony, right?"

Edaline nodded. "Yes."

"Was it him that released the chicken?"

"Yes. That's actually why I met him. I caught the chicken and held onto it for the rest of the ceremony. Afterwards, he came to take it back, and we started talking."

"That's cool! Nothing that interesting happened at my ceremony. Some kid nearly missed his name. That's it."

"Nothing happened at mine either," said another voice.

Sophie looked around, bewildered. Suddenly, her older sister, Jolie, appeared next to her.

"Jolie!" Sophie exclaimed, running to go be her a hug. Jolie was in college in another state, so they didn't get to see each other much.

"How's school? Meet anyone that you can dramatically fall in love with yet?" asked Jolie teasingly.

Sophie thought Jolie was talking about Keefe for a second, then realized that Jolie had never met him and that Sophie most certainly did not like him. She laughed. "It's good. And nope, I will never find someone worthy of me dramatically falling in love with them."

Jolie changed the topic. "What are we having for dinner?"

Edaline laughed. "You've been home for twenty minutes and that's the first thing you ask? Maybe that's a surprise."

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Sophie got up to answer it. "Sorry, we're not interes- Keefe?"

•••••••••••

A/N: hello guys and welcome back to my rant about this chapter. Jolie is alive now because she's great, Iggy is a dog, and Grady released a chicken. Also go google pics of Italian greyhounds (what breed of dog iggy is now) RIGHT NOW. You will not regret it. There faces are so cute.

Anyway, Grady releasing a chicken at age fifteen seems like a very Grady thing to do. I think. Who knows? 

Also, what do you think is gonna happen next?

Happy reading!

<3 Ivy