Chapter 5 | Sophie

Sophie didn't know why she agreed to go roller skating with Keefe. Actually, she did know why. She had asked Jolie if she should go. 

Jolie was home for another week. She mostly visited her boyfriend, Brant. Sophie liked Brant. He was nice enough and didn't seem like the type to burn down a house with someone in it.

At school on Friday, Sophie finally told Biana and Marella what she was doing.

•••••••••

"Wait, let me get this straight," said Biana ,"You're going roller skating with Keefe, who you definitely like, and who possibly likes you, as a friend?"

"Yes. Well, no. I don't like him and he doesn't like me. We're just friends," said Sophie. 

Marella looked suspicious but didn't say anything.

At lunch, Sophie found herself staring at Fitz again. She quickly looked away. Too late. Marella had noticed it.

"Wait, you like Fitz?" Marella questioned.

"No!" Sophie almost yelled.

Biana looked at the two of them. "Can we please talk about anything other than Sophie liking my brother?"

••••••••••

After school, Jolie picked Sophie up. "You ready for your date, kiddo?"

Sophie groaned. "It's not a date, and you can't call me kiddo. Only Grady can do that."

"I'm pretty sure it's a date, but whatever you say. What does Keefe look like anyway?"

"He's tall."

"That's it?"

"Yup."

Jolie rolled her eyes. "What time are you meeting again?"

"Uh, 4."

Jolie pulled into the driveway. "Did you tell Mom and Dad where you're going?"

Sophie nodded. "Yup. I told them I'm going roller skating with a friend, because that's exactly what I'm doing."

She pulled her backpack on and walked inside. Iggy leapt up from his spot on the couch and ran out towards her. Sophie bent down and picked up the small black and white dog, who started licking her face uncontrollably.

"How was school today?" Edaline asked from the kitchen.

"It was good. What are you making?" asked Sophie, peering into the pot on the stove.

"Mallowmelt," Edaline said, "Oh, and can you ask Jolie to drive you to go roller skating? Grady has to do something at the shelter."

Sophie nodded. "Jolie!" she yelled.

Jolie appeared next to her. "You don't have to yell. I was literally ten feet away. What do you want?"

"Can you drive me to go roller skating?"

"Yeah. I can't pick you up though. Brant and I are going to dinner."

Edaline handed Sophie the mallowmelt spoon. Mallowmelt was basically homemade marshmallows with a flavored candy inside. They were really good. Sophie licked the spoon.

She went up to her room. Sophie changed into a light orange t- shirt with "Go Foxfire!" written on it and black leggings. She pulled out her phone and texted Keefe.

Sophie: We're meeting at four, right?

Keefe: you should remember this you have a photographic memory