Chapter 13 | Sophie

Sophie was excited for the dance. She didn't really know why. Maybe it was the fact that she was going with Fitz, who she definitely hadn't liked for at least a year.

Sophie sighed as she looked at the mirror to make sure her makeup was still there after Marella had hit her with a pillow. 

"What's the big deal?" asked Marella, "It's always really dark at the dances, and it's not like Fitz will care."

Biana rolled her eyes slightly. "That's easy for you to say. Linh's definitely not gonna care about your makeup. Plus, you're not even wearing any!"

"That's because I don't care, and I'm not letting you go near my face with 17 different types of brushes more than I have to," Marella said.

"This kinda feels like before the soulmate ceremony, doesn't it?" said Sophie.

Biana shrugged. "I didn't really think about that, but now that you mention it, it kind of does."

Sophie adjusted her soulmate charm. "I'm a little bit nervous."

"Really?" Marella said, surprised, "You've liked Fitz for like two years and you're finally getting to do some sort of coupley thing with him.

Sophie thought about it. True, she had liked Fitz for a long time, but her mind still drifted to Keefe. Not that she liked him or anything. Nope, they were just friends and nothing more. 

Biana waved a hand in front of Sophie's face. "You there? Also, do you want the last piece of pizza or can I have it?"

Sophie jumped a little. "No, you can have it."

••••••••

An hour later, Sophie, Biana, and Marella were at school. The dance was being held in the gym. Marella slotted Linh and drifted away from their little group to go talk to her.

Sophie found herself glancing at the door every so often. She didn't know if she was looking for Keefe or Fitz. 

Biana handed her a plastic cup full of soda. "You wanted Sprite, right? Hey, that rhymes."

Sophie smiled. "Thanks. You know, I'll be fine alone. You should go be with Dex."

"He'll be fine without me," Biana said, "And besides, someone needs to get mad at my idiot brother for being twenty minutes late."

Sophie started laughing. Her laugh faltered when she spotted a blond haired boy walking towards them with his hand in his pockets.

Biana looked between the two. "Well then, I'll see you later, Sophie. Adios, amigo." She turned around and walked towards where Dex was standing and talking to a few other people.

"Hey," Keefe said.

"Hi," Sophie responded.

"Waiting for Fitz?"

"Yeah. Are you waiting for someone?"

Keefe shrugged. "Not really. Stina ditched me for some guy." He nodded towards where Stina Heks was talking to a tall boy with dark hair.

"That sucks," Sophie said.

"I don't really mind. She's not really my type, anyways."

"What is your type, then?" 

Keefe muttered something under his breath that sounded like 'shoe'.  "I don't really know. Not Stina."

"Well that certainly narrows it down," Sophie said, laughing a little bit. She glanced back towards Stina. The boy had moved a little bit, and Sophie could just make out a pair of teal eyes.

Her face fell.

"What's wrong?" Keefe asked.

"Fitz is here."

"So? That's a good thing, right?"

Sophie shook her head. "He's talking to Stina."

Keefe turned his head so fast that Sophie thought he would break it. "Seriously?"

Sophie walked over to Fitz. Fitz froze.

"You really screwed up this time, Fitzy," Keefe said.

"Seriously, Fitz?" Sophie almost yelled, "I didn't even know you were here?"

"Look, this is probably a misunderstanding."

"You said you would text me when you got here," Sophie said, "And, obviously, you didn't." 

Fitz sighed. "Can we talk somewhere else?" He glanced at Stina and Keefe.

"Fine." 

Sophie followed him towards a fairly empty corner of the gym. "What?"

"I must have forgotten to press send. I thought you were the one that was late."

"So instead of waiting for me like any other person would do, you assumed that I wasn't going to show up anytime soon and started talking to Stina?"

"Look, I'm sorry," Fitz said.

"You know what? Go. I'll be fine on my own." 

Sophie left Fitz and pushed the door to the hallway outside the gym open and sat down against a wall.

"Foster?" Keefe asked. He poked his head through the door. "You ok?"

Sophie gave him a weak smile. "Yeah."

He sat down next to her. "Fitz can just get a little intense sometimes."

"That's not really the problem though."

"Then what is the problem?"

Sophie sighed. "It's complicated."

"Oh."

They sat there for a few minutes before a slow song started playing. Keefe hopped up and held his hand out to Sophie.

"Come on, let's not let's the song go to waste."

Sophie rolled her eyes and stood up. "Fine, but I get to call you Sencen for a few days."

Keefe nodded. "It's a deal, Foster."

Sophie took his hand, and they started dancing.

A/N: hey guys!!! I'm so so so so so sorry for not updating for like a month but I couldn't think of anything for the plot. I'm also starting school in a few days so I might not update much, but I'll try!

Also, the last part (starting from when Sophie goes to the hallway) honestly is so much better if you play Electric Love by BØRNS (start from like? 55 seconds in. this is oddly specific but still) in the background. please do it it makes the scene like a million times better.

Anyways, happy reading!

<3 Ivy