Chapter 2 | Keefe

Keefe didn't get the point of the ceremony. He had left right in the middle of it to go to the bathroom, but apparently his name was closer to the middle than he thought.

Keefe only went to the party after so that he could get away from his parents for longer. They were soulmates, which should have been a good thing, except that just meant that they were evil together.

Immediately after he got there, he abandoned Linh, a girl in his art class, and her twin brother. As nice as Linh was, Keefe just didn't feel like talking to anyone.

He went outside, to a balcony that wrapped around part of the building. Keefe sat in the cold December air for a while.

He should have already done the ceremony. His birthday was the next day, and the people who arranged the ceremony said they would have let him be in the one the year before, but of course, Keefe's parents wanted to "do things traditionally," so his best friend, Fitz, went to the ceremony without him.

Keefe was contemplating going back inside when the door to the balcony opened and someone care outside.

He looked over at them. It was a girl, and a very pretty one at that. Keefe mentally slapped himself. He wasn't here to find his soulmate. Soulmates weren't real, and even if they were, his probably wasn't this girl.

The girl looked at him.

"Oh. I guess I should introduce myself," Keefe said, "I'm Keefe."

She nodded, "Sophie Foster. Aren't you the one who missed your name?"

"Yup. I like to be fashionably late."

Sophie laughed. Somehow, she was even cuter when she laughed. Keefe mentally slapped himself again. 

"Hey, do you go to Foxfire?" Sophie said, "You seem familiar."

"Yeah."

"Weird. I've never seen you around."

"I got to skip a year," Keefe said, tapping his head, "Photographic memory."

Sophie's eyes lit up. "Me too! Well, not the skipping years part, but the photographic memory. Do you know Fitz?"

"Fitz Vacker? Everyone knows him. You're gonna have to be more specific."

She shrugged. "Like, are you friends or something? I feel like I know you from outside of school."

"Wait, are you saying you stalk Fitz? And yea, he's my friend."

Sophie's cheeks turned pink. "No! His sister, Biana, is my friend and I wondered if I've ever seen you at their house."

Keefe shrugged. "Maybe. Maybe not. You can never tell."

Sophie and Keefe talked for a while about their lives. Every time Sophie did something cute, Keefe mentally slapped himself again for thinking it was cute.

Eventually, a girl with braided blonde hair opened the door and poked her head out. "Soph, the party's almost over. I'm going to Biana's house after th-" 

She froze mid sentence when she spotted Keefe, and looked at Sophie. Sophie stared back at her. "Anyway, Biana wants to know if you can come too," the girl finished.

"I'll ask Edaline," Sophie said.

The two girls left. Keefe left a few minutes after. 

Guess he couldn't really go to Fitz's house anymore, but he was going to anyway because his parents hardly cared where he was half of the time and Fitz's family was nice enough.

Maybe if he was lucky, he wouldn't see Sophie there and she wouldn't think that he was being a creep.

••••••••••

Keefe had taken his bike and rode to Fitz's house. He didn't live that far away.

He rang the doorbell. Alvar, Fitz's older brother, answered, and yelled "Fitz! Keefe is here!"

Keefe walked in and found Fitz sitting in his room. 

"How was the ceremony?" Fitz asked.

Keefe rolled his eyes. "Hello to you too, Fitzy. And by the way, it was horrible. The cookies that the had at the end party were some sort of fancy French kind."

"Didn't know you spoke French."

"Yup. I've been taking secret lessons since age two." 

Biana poked her head into Fitz's room. "Have you seen my makeup bag? I can't find it. Oh, hey Keefe."

Fitz looked annoyed. "Why would I have it? It's probably hidden behind all those dresses you have."

Biana tolled her eyes at him. Someone else tapped her on the shoulder and said "I found it! It was under your sink. Wait, Keefe? Why are you here?"

Keefe realized it was Sophie. "I'm Fitzy's personal maid. Couldn't you tell?"

Fitz shoved Biana away. 

"You know Sophie?"

Oh great, Keefe thought, now I have to explain what happened.

"We met at the ceremony. We talked for like five minutes. It's not a big deal."

"Seems like a pretty big deal. You should have seen your face when you realized it was her," Fitz laughed.

"It's complicated," Keefe muttered.

••••••••••••

A/N: chapter two!! again, I'm sorry if the characters seem ooc or if I don't add enough detail. I also couldn't think of a good way for the chapter to end so it ends very abruptly.

Other than that, I have literally no idea how to write for Keefe, but it is fun to write about Sophie from his perspective.

Happy reading!

<3 Ivy