Chapter 11 | Sophie

Eventually, Sophie and Keefe went home from the amusement park. Sophie hadn't really noticed anything weird about Keefe that day, apart from the fact that he was wearing his soulmate charm. That just didn't seem like a Keefe thing to do.

Keefe pulled into Sophie's driveway. 

Sophie reached into the backseat and grabbed her real backpack. "See you at school!" she said, getting out of the car. She closed the door and waved to Keefe.

Sophie went inside. Iggy came zooming into the room and jumped on her leg. She picked him up. Edaline was in the kitchen.

"How was it?" Edaline asked.

Sophie smiled. "It was great! Roller coasters are so much fun. And there were barely any lines."

"That sounds fun," Edaline said, "How was Keefe?"

"Like he always is? Why?"

"No reason."

Grady walked into the kitchen. "Hey, kiddo."

"Hello."

Sophie stayed in the kitchen while Edaline made dinner and Iggy followed her, hoping that she would drop something.

••••••••

After dinner, Sophie said goodnight to Grady and Edaline and went to her room and plugged her phone in. It had died when her and Keefe were playing Heads Up on it while waiting in line on a tall wooden roller coaster.

The screen lit up, and Sophie saw that she had a text from Biana.

Biana: Did you guys hear that we're having a school dance?

Sophie: what

Marella: what

Biana: We are

Biana: why are you guys not as excited as I am

Sophie: have you considered the fact that you have a boyfriend

Biana: I'm sure someone will ask you

Marella: why are they having the dance in the middle of March instead of on Valentine's Day

Sophie: because our school is weird

Biana: That's true

Biana: Also I'm pretty sure it's not fancy

Biana: So even if you don't get a date or whatever it doesn't matter because you can just show up and give them five dollars and get in

Sophie: there's MONEY involved??

Biana: yes

Biana: deal with it

Marella: alrighty then

••••••

That Monday after Sophie got to school, she found Fitz standing by her locker. She looked around, confused.

"Hi?"

"Do you want to go to the dance with me?" Fitz asked.

Sophie's face turned red. Of all the things that she had expected, being asked to a school dance by Fitz Vacker was not one of them. And how was he so calm about it?

"Sure?" Sophie winced. It sounded more like a question, but Fitz didn't seem to notice.

"Cool," he said, and walked away. 

Sophie shoved her things into her locker and speed walked towards Marella's locker. "Guys!"

A girl that Sophie had seen in a few of her classes, Linh Song, spun around, surprised.