Chapter 8 | Keefe

Keefe hadn't planned for his dad to show up as he was adopting Silveny. Actually, Keefe hadnt planned on seeing his dad until the next day. He was supposed to be giving some speech on his 'scientific advancements in understanding human emotions'.

"Keefe, what are you doing here?" asked his dad.

"Adopting Silveny. What does it look like I'm doing?"

"We are going home right now," snapped his dad, "Without the dog."

Keefe sighed. "Well, you see, that's a no-can-do because Silveny here is very attached to me, and I happen to now be very attached to her."

His dad closed his eyes and put his hand on his head. "Keefe, you are not getting a dog. We've been over this a million times. You're not responsible enough."

"Oh." Keefe knew his dad was going to say that, but it still hurt. He bent down to pet Silveny.

Just then, Sophie and a girl who was probably her older sister walked into the shelter. Sophie looked at Keefe, then at his dad, then back at Keefe. 

Keefe looked at Sophie and gave her a halfhearted smile before turning and handing Silveny's leash to a guy who worked there. 

His dad walked out the door. Keefe followed him, avoiding Sophie.

When they got home, Keefe went to his room. He had a text from Sophie.

Sophie: What happened?

Sophie: You can still visit Silveny here.

Sophie: I'll try and make sure nobody adopts her

Sophie: Keefe? You there?

Keefe: you don't have to worry about me I'm fine

Sophie: Are you sure because you really don't sound like the Keefe Sencen that we all know and love.

Keefe's mind fixated on the "love" part of that sentence. Nope. No it didn't. You know why? Because he didn't like Sophie, and Sophie didn't like him.

Keefe: No seriously, I'm fine

Sophie: alright what's wrong you're talking with proper grammar.

Keefe: Nothing!

Sophie: oh

Sophie: ok

Keefe didn't answer. He didn't know why he cared so much about what his dad thought. And besides, Silveny was just a dog.

•••••••••••

The next day, there was a blizzard. It wasn't technically a blizzard, but there was enough snow that school was canceled. 

Keefe had always liked the snow, but the best part of winter was when the pond in the woods near his house froze enough to be able to ice skate on it, although Keefe didn't own any ice skates. He usually just wore his boots and fell over a lot.

Keefe ate some cereal, put on his coat and boots, and went outside. Usually, Keefe would have texted Fitz and asked if he wanted to play hockey, but now that Fitz was mad at him for some unknown reason, it didn't seem like that would happen. 

Keefe had an idea. He texted Sophie.

Keefe: come here foster

Sophie: huh

Sophie: what

Sophie: come where

Keefe: here

Sophie: That's not helping

Keefe: I'll just come pick you up

Sophie: ok??

Sophie: see you then??

Keefe drove to Sophie's house and texted her that he was there. He saw her wave to someone inside of the house and ran to Keefe's car. Technically, it wasn't Keefe's car, but neither of his parents ever used it so he had just claimed it for himself.

Sophie pulled off her fluffy white hat and smoothed down her wavy blonde hair. "What do you want? And where are we going?"

Keefe grinned. "Ice skating!" He looked at Sophie.

"I don't have ice skates."

"Yeah, well, neither do I, but that hasn't stopped me."

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Well, let's go!"

They drove in silence until they got to Keefe's house. He stopped the car and hopped out. Sophie followed him behind his house and to the edge of the woods.

Keefe turned around and did jazz hands when they reached the pond. Sophie laughed and cautiously stepped on the ice, grabbing onto Keefe's arm so she didn't fall over.

Keefe stepped onto the ice too and fell over, dragging Sophie down with him. "Hey!" he protested when Sophie flung snow at him.

Keefe stood back up, letting go of Sophie's hand. Sophie shuffled around a little bit and didn't fall over. She smiled at Keefe. He smiled back.

They skated for a while, occasionally falling over. Keefe convinced Sophie to stay away from the middle, even though he always went in the middle.

Sophie slipped and fell, again. Keefe awkwardly skated over to her, and bent down to pick up something shiny that had fallen off of Sophie's necklace or something.

As Keefe was handing it to Sophie, he realized it was her soulmate charm. 

And it had his handwriting on it.

A/N: heyyy guys don't kill me over the cliffhanger, promise? 

but, y'know, it's a soulmate au that had to happen at some point. 

Also the first half of this chapter made me sad because SILVENY, but I'm also kinda weirdly proud of how I tied in Cassius being an Empath to the human part, so now he's a scientist who studies brains or something, and I kinda wanna make Gisela a scientist too, but like a genetic engineer or something (that's a thing right).

AND (one more thing I promise) for the next two and a half ish weeks I won't be very active and I probably won't post a chapter, but if I do, it's probably gonna be shorter. I'm gonna try and write them ahead of time so all I have to do is post them.

Happy reading!

<3 Ivy