Chapter 10 | Keefe

Keefe hadn't expected Sophie to want to go to Great America. But then again, did he ever expect anything Sophie did?

Sophie leaned forwards in her seat and pointed at something outside. "We're almost there!" She turned back to Keefe and smiled.

Keefe leaned forwards slightly and saw the tall roller coasters in the distance. "You sure you're tall enough to ride them?" he joked. 

Sophie looked at him, narrowing her eyes. "Are you sure that... uh," she looked around the car, "You won't get kicked out for bringing in that water bottle?" 

"That was one of the worst comebacks ever. I'm not even bringing water in. If I get thirsty I'll just use a water fountain."

"Right, because you're definitely going to remember that."

They pulled into the parking lot. It was still kind of early, so Keefe found a decent spot near the entrance to the park. 

Keefe hadn't really noticed that Sophie wasn't behind him until he got to the line and turned around to say something to her.

Thirty seconds later, Sophie ran up to him and ducked under the divider. The lady standing behind Keefe looked annoyed. 

"What took you so long, Foster?" Keefe asked, leaning on one of the metal poles.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "You left without me!" They got to the front of the line and she slipped off her teal backpack.

Keefe put his phone and the car keys in one of those plastic bins and walked through the metal detector. Metal detectors seemed a little extreme for an amusement park, but he didn't really care.

"Can you hold my keys? My mom will kill me if I lose them." Keefe asked, looking at the bag Sophie was holding.

"Fine. Give me your phone, too. I might as well be the mom friend now," Sophie joked.

Keefe handed Sophie his stuff, trying not to pay attention to the "friend" part. "Where do you wanna go first?"

"I don't know. I've only been here once, when I was little," Sophie responded.

Keefe grabbed her hand and started walking towards the nearest roller coaster, one that was painted red and blue. "Then I get to choose!"

There wasn't much of a line, probably because Great America had opened for the year the day before. 

Sophie looked a little nervous. "Are you sure this is safe?"

Keefe nodded. "I've been on it a million times and it's only stopped while I was on it once."

"What?!" Sophie exclaimed.

"You can't back out now," Keefe said as they sat down on the seats and someone who worked there came around and adjusted the harnesses.

"I can see that," Sophie said. She gasped when the seats were suddenly horizontal. "You never told me about this part!"

"Oh yeah. I guess I didn't. But there's a reason that it's called Superman." The ride started moving up.

They reached the top. Keefe leaned forwards a little bit to see Sophie's face. 

"It's not that ba-" Sophie was cut off when the ride lurched forwards. After what was definitely too short of a ride, they were back at the platform. 

Keefe waited for Sophie while she grabbed her bag from on of the colored bins and they walked down together.

"What do you think?" asked Keefe.

"I honestly don't understand how people hate roller coasters," Sophie responded, smiling, "Which one do you wanna do next?"

Keefe shrugged and grabbed a map as they walked past a stand full of them. "Your choice." He handed Sophie the map and the pair stopped near a fountain. 

After a few minutes, Sophie looked up. "Let's go on this one!" She pointed to a drawing of a green and purple ride.

Keefe sighed. That was the one ride that he hadn't been on, ever. Fitz was always too scared to ride it and he didn't want to go on it alone. "The Joker?"

Sophie squinted at the map and nodded. "That's what the map says. Let's go!" She started walking and Keefe followed. 

They got distracted a couple times and went on the smaller rides. One of them stopped working right before they got on, so they left. Finally, they got to the ride.

Keefe stopped right next to the entrance to the line while Sophie took a few steps forwards. "Come on! You're the one that wanted to come here, and I'm definitely not doing that alone." 

"Fine," Keefe said, walking up to Sophie. There was a line for the ride, so they waited for a while to get on. Finally, they were put on the ride.

Keefe didn't know what to expect, but he didn't expect to go almost straight up and then start spinning. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. 

After the ride was over, it was Keefe's turn to be excited. "How have I never gone on that before? It's so much fun."

"Maybe because you never had me here to go on it with you," Sophie said, dramatically flicking her hair.

"Let's go on that one next," said Keefe, pointing at a purple and yellow ride. 

Sophie nodded, and the pair started walking.

A/N: hey guys! Sorry it took so long for this chapter to be out. Also I had no idea how to end this chapter so that fun.

Anyways, the amusement park is Six Flags Great America, which is a real place. It's great. If you've been there (it's in Illinois) what's your favorite ride? Mine's either Batman, Superman, or Goliath. 

also I really hope you noticed the one Easter egg type type thing that I put in there. 

Happy reading!

<3 Ivy