Chapter 4 | Keefe

Keefe was just as surprised as Sophie. He obviously had gone to the wrong house.

Keefe laughed nervously. "Uh. Hey. Sorry. Wrong house. I'm dropping something off for Jensi." He waved a plastic folder in the air. 

Jensi was a boy in one of his classes who had been sick, and someone volunteered Keefe to drop his stuff from that class off. They were doing a project.

"Oh, ok. I think he lives a few houses down. And happy birthday!" Sophie said. Keefe was surprised she remembered. He had forgotten he told her that it was that day.

"Thanks. See you at school, I guess?" Keefe said. It sounded more like a question than a statement.

"Bye." 

Sophie disappeared inside. Keefe walked towards Jensi's house. He dropped off the folder and got back on his bike to ride home.

Keefe didn't like Sophie. His soulmate charm, which he had already lost, didn't have her handwriting on it. He didn't wish that it did. He didn't even believe in soulmates. Keefe didn't think that Sophie was cute.  He didn't want to talk to her about literally anything. He didn't think that she could like him. Definitely not.

He got home and went to his room, completely avoiding his parents. At least there was school tomorrow.

Not that he wanted to have a chance to talk to Sophie again.

•••••••••

The next day, things were almost normal. 

Fitz handed Keefe his soulmate charm. "You left this at my house."

"Oh. Thanks," Keefe said, not really wanting to take it. The handwriting on it was nearly perfect, like someone had actually taken time to write down the alphabet. Keefe had just scribbled something down the day it was due.

In the morning, Keefe didn't see Sophie at all. At lunch, he saw her staring at Fitz. When she saw Keefe, her face turned red and she quickly spun around.

After lunch, Keefe went to art. He sat next to Linh. She talked about the ceremony the entire time and how she met someone there. Keefe wasn't really paying attention.

At the end of the day, he saw Sophie again, chatting with Biana and Marella. Biana walked over to Fitz, and again, Keefe saw Sophie staring at Fitz.

Keefe shouldn't have cared that Sophie obviously liked his best friend, but he did. He couldn't let that change his and Fitz's friendship. Fitz was the only friend he had, except for Linh, but he only saw her a few times a day.

Keefe walked down the hall towards the doors. He technically should have been able to drive to school, since he had taken lessons. His parents just kept forgetting to take him to get his drivers license.

Keefe heard footsteps behind him. Sophie ran up to him. Keefe stopped and turned to face her.

 "Uh, happy birthday, again. Uh, Biana and Marella wanted me to give you this." She shoved a crumpled up sticky note in his hand and blushed.

"Thanks?" Keefe straightened the paper. On it was written a phone number. He didn't know what he was expecting, but it certainly wasn't that. He winked. "You can't help but love me, Foster."

Sophie shook her head at him. "I don't like you!" she shouted as she walked away.

Obviously, she might like him just a little bit, because she had literally given him her number. Keefe definitely didn't care that that had happened.

•••••••••••••

Five hours later, Keefe finally texted Sophie. 

He asked if she knew how to roller skate. She said no. Keefe asked if she wanted to learn. Sophie took a little bit to reply. She said sure. Keefe hadn't thought this far ahead. They decided to meet at the roller skating place on Friday. Just as friends, though. 

Keefe wished that they weren't meeting as just friends. Actually, no, he was fine with that. Because he didn't like Sophie.

Friday couldn't come fast enough.

A/N: hey guys! Sorry I took so long to update. I know a few people have been waiting for the next chapter. And sorry it's so short. I like writing in Sophie's perspective more. 

Anyways, Keefe is now in denial about his obvious crush on Sophie and they're meeting up on Friday. 

What could go wrong?

also yes, they're going roller skating. It's cute. And it's fun. And since it's January in the book, they can't really go to the beach or to an amusement park or something. (by the way,  I was this close to having them go to an amusement park)

Happy reading!

<3 Ivy