Chapter 6 | Keefe

Keefe was having fun on the not-date. They had finished their food and went to the arcade for a little bit.

Sophie was way better at Fruit Ninja than him. Keefe won 400 tickets on one of those "spin the wheel for a prize" games. The pair ended up with 700 tickets, so they went to the prize booth.

Sophie picked up a stuffed Iron Man keychain and turned to Keefe. "I'm getting this," she said.

Keefe picked up a tiny Capitan America. "Then I'm gonna get this one."

They had 100 tickets left, so Keefe got a box of nerds and Sophie got a ring pop. They ate their candy and Keefe pulled Sophie back to the skating rink.

They were skating together when Keefe bumped into someone. That someone turned around. It was Fitz. 

"Um, I'm gonna go get water," said Sophie, who quickly skated away.

"Hey there, Fitzy. What are you doing here?" Keefe asked.

"Biana wanted to come," Fitz said, "I'm pretty sure I see why." He pointed towards the water fountain, where a dark haired girl was talking to Sophie.

"The real question is why are you here?" asked Fitz.

"I'm hanging out with Sophie. My friend. Because I can have friends that aren't you," said Keefe.

"Oh."

There was an awkward moment of silence. 

"Well, see ya later, gotta get back to, y'know, skating," said Keefe suddenly.

He skated away. 

There goes my best friend, Keefe thought.

Sophie skated back towards him, nearly falling and grabbing his hand again. "What was that about?"

"Nothing really," Keefe said. 

"Ok then," Sophie responded, looking a little unsure.

•••••••••••••

Finally, they decided to go home. They were both pretty quiet except when Sophie said things like "turn left, no, your other left."

Keefe stopped in front of Sophie's house. She hopped out of the passenger seat. "Thanks!" she said, smiling.

Keefe smiled back. "Bye."

"See you on Monday!" Sophie said. She turned away and walked into the house.

Keefe drove back to his house.

•••••••••••

The weekend flew by. On Monday, Keefe remembered to clip the Captain America keychain to his backpack.

At school, Fitz ignored him completely. At lunch, Keefe ended up sitting with a boy named Dex. Dex was in his science class and they had been paired up for some project.

Keefe didn't know why Fitz was mad at him. Was it because he was with Sophie? Because he didn't tell Fitz what he was doing on Friday?

Dex snapped in Keefe's face. "Wait, what did you say?" Keefe asked. He hadn't been paying attention. 

Dex sighed. "I asked if you wanted to work on the science project after school."

"Sure," Keefe shrugged. He didn't really have any reason not to.

"I have to help out at my dad's store today, do you care if we work there?" 

"No, that's fine," said Keefe.

They finished lunch and Keefe went to art.

Again, he sat next to Linh, who didn't really stop talking about some movie she had seen over the weekend. Their assignment was to find an object in their locker that nobody really payed attention to and to draw it. 

The teacher, Miss Oralie, let Keefe get something to draw from his locker. All he found was some pencils, a jacket, and a green binder.

He almost gave up when he spotted something shiny underneath the jacket. Keefe pulled it out. It was his soulmate charm. He had wondered where it went. 

That was a good drawing idea. Keefe put everything else back in his locker and went back to the art room. 

•••••••••••

At the end of the day, Keefe drove to Slurps and Burps, where Dex worked, to work on his project. 

Keefe sat down at the counter while Dex stood behind it, next to the register. Keefe opened his computer. "Should I make the presentation?"

Dex nodded. "Yeah. I'll look up some facts."

They were presenting on Starlings, some type of bird. Their class was studying invasive species and Starlings were one of them.

Keefe laughed. "Starlings were introduced into North America by a Shakespeare fan."

"Really?" asked Dex.

"Yup. His name was Eugene Schieffelin."

"He sounds like some sort of fancy British rich guy."

"Yeah. He probably drank tea for fun." 

Suddenly, the bell on the door rang and three girls walked in.

One of them, a tall girl with long dark hair, whispered something into the blonde girl's ear. Keefe then realized it was Sophie, Biana, and Marella.

Sophie looked at Biana and whispered something back.

She walked towards the register. "Dex, do you guys sell pencils and/ or pens?"

Dex rolled his eyes. "We always have, dear cousin. They're literally the first thing you see when you walk in."

Sophie spotted Keefe and waved. "Thanks!"

She bought a pack of yellow pencils. "Oh, and by the way, my friend thinks you're cute."

Biana opened the door and practically ran outside. Marella followed, and Sophie followed her.

"Thanks?" Dex said. It was more of a question than a statement. His face was red.

"Ooooh," said Keefe.

"Let's just get back to work," Dex said, his face still the same color as his strawberry blond hair.

"But-"

Dex cut him off. "No."

"No what? I didn't even finish my sentence."

"Just no."

Keefe made a sad face. "Fine."

He finished part of the slideshow and pulled out his phone to text Sophie.

A/N: 895 words! That's probably the most I've written for Keefe's point of view.

Also, whoops, my hand slipped and I wrote another chapter. Oops.

I like this one although it made me sad to write that Fitz started ignoring Keefe because I love their friendship. Also, did you see the dexiana I put in there? Dexiana is under appreciated.

Happy reading!

<3 Ivy