shy

💭

💭

Ricky Bowen. If you asked anyone to describe Ricky Bowen the first thing they'd tell you was how mysterious, unreadable, and reserved he was.

No one really knew much about Ricky Bowen except for his best friend, Big Red. Both boys were extremely reserved and kept to themselves; truly fitting in with the 'skater-boy' stereotype.

And although Ricky didn't talk to many of his classmates, none of them would've assumed it was because he was shy.

His shyness was actually the main reason why Ricky mainly kept to himself. He knew he couldn't hold a conversation, let alone start one, so he just didn't try. He was fine with having a few friends, he was never really interested in being popular or being at the top of the social ladder anyway.

Did he wish he could be a little bit more involved in class discussions? Sometimes, but honestly he was half asleep during most of his classes anyway.

Did he hope his shyness would go away at some point? At first he did, having to grow up being extremely shy and feeling like he was going to faint every time he was forced to interact with someone he wasn't familiar with was difficult and exhausting. But after living with it for 17 (almost 18) years, he accepted the fact that he just had to deal with it.

But sometimes he did wonder why he was so shy. His parents were the most outgoing, approachable people he knew, so how come he didn't end up like that? Google said someone's shyness was oftentimes due to genetics. Huh.

Did he ever wish he was less afraid of mingling and making conversation? Not really, at least not until he met you.

He first laid eyes on you in the cafeteria. You were hanging up banners for the school's 'winter ball'. He and Big Red watched you as you interacted with everyone else on the party planning committee, assigning them different tasks and handing them different coloured banners to hang up.

After that precious day, he began to see you more and more around East High. With the school dance being only a week away, you were practically everywhere. He took notice of your little perks that made you so admirable; your faint freckles and the way your y/h/c hair would sway perfectly when you walked away. He loved the way small wrinkles would form around your eyes when you smiled.

He wished he could muster up enough courage to speak to you, or maybe ask you to go with him to the winter ball, that's if you didn't have a date already.

He wished he could be able to make you smile so wide that your nose would scrunch up and those little wrinkles would appear more prominent. He wished he could see your little freckles up close, he always wondered if they were more noticeable when they were right in front of you. He imagined your hair smelled like daisies or some other kind of flower. He knew it sounded weird and he felt weird just thinking about it, but Ricky swears that if your y/h/c locks smelled as perfect as they looked, he would drop dead. Literally.