Chapter 9:Joe, Is That You?

MARIA'S POV
I was sitting in the living room watching TV with my parents when I got a text from Jacklyn.

" Hey when schools is over do u want to come over to my house to do ur make up work btw Theo has some of ur make up work too. Do u want me to see if he can come to at lunch?"

As I read the text I silently thanked God that all my teachers gave my make up work to them. I don't like to be behind in school plus I'm a straight A student so I definitely don't want to be behind. I asked my parents if I could go to her house to do homework and they said yes so I texted her back.
" Yes, thank u and yeah invite him I miss him" I responded back.

It was 12:30 so I still had time to finish watching the show with my parents my dad's lunch ends at 12:45 then he's gonna have appointments lined up. It always made me feel really uncomfortable when patients are coming in while I was sitting in the living room or kitchen. My mom hasn't had a case since the engagement party.

After the show was done at 1 my mom asked if I wanted to go grocery shopping with her and I agreed. I went upstairs to grab my book bag and stuff. When my mom shops it always takes awhile because she always ends up going to a few stores so by the time we'd be done school we'd be out. I was in my pajamas so I also changed.(outfit up top) I met my mom at the car. We got in and pulled off. The ride was mostly quite, we didn't talk but there was music playing.

We pulled up to Giant eagle and got out. As soon as there we got two 24 packs of water. We then got the usual stuff but then we got a few new things that my mom wanted to make.

"Hey mom I have a question about the job thing" I asked her as she was looking at the hamburger meat.

"Yes what about it" she said

"did u want to be a lawyer or something else" I asked
"No, I originally wanted to be a chef my whole life I didn't know I was going to be a lawyer until I was 16" she said glancing at me.

"does that mean u don't like your job?" I asked
"No, I like my job, I mean I was a little disappointed when I couldn't be a professional chef like I wanted but then a got into being a lawyer a little after the gave me the class. Now your dad strived to be a doctor when I met him when we were 15 he was purposely trying to get picked to be a doctor." She said amused

"When exactly did u guys met again" I asked as we walked up to a check out line.

"We met on the first day of high school, we went to different middle schools so we didn't know each other but I remember being so shy when I met him. Well the actual first time I met him the only emotion I could feel is embarrassment" she said with a laugh.

"Why" I asked
She paid for the stuff and started walking out of the store before responding.

"Well he seen me before I seen him and I was talking to some boy asking him about some classes on the my schedule by the way he was a sophomore and I guess ur father automatically got territorial because I was talking another guy.

Anyways he charged over to us grabbed me by the arm not hard or anything pulled me behind him. I felt tiny sparks when he touched me and just before he came I started to smell pumpkin pie. Anyways he grabbed the guy by the collar of his shirt and told him to stay away from his mate." She stopped to open the trunk.

"What happened next" I asked intrigued I never heard this before. I only ever heard of how they was high school sweet hearts.

" Well I was shocked at first hearing him say that I was his mate but then extremely embarrassed when I saw everyone was staring at us. I started crying, ur father immediately stopped doing what ever he was doing to the boy and hugged me asking me why I was crying.