The Train Ride Conspiracy

A/N

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback on the last chapter ~ I've decided to alternate (kinda) because it was a somewhat even split. I usually write until I feel the chapter is complete, and since Sophie/Willow will be at the palace now, I think the chapters will be a little shorter- but I'll try to alternate either way. 

Now, the dedication goes to @Fayelienchen!!! Thanks for the comments and support, even if you've only been reading for a few days. :P 

Also, something REALLY IMPORTANT: I don't know why, but a lot of my tags aren't working- like I can't see my ranking in Sokeefe as well as a few others for this book... Can you guys see the ranking? I don't know what to do about it and it's bothering me. :(

Oh, and one last IMPORTANT thing, okay, it's only kind of important, but I'd still like you guys to read it: Do you want me to stop putting recaps at the beginning of the chapters? IDK if they're necessary, and I haven't really seen any other chapters that do that so...

Alrighty, onto the chapter. 

Recap...

Willow began climbing as Avery drew nearer.

When she was a third of the way up he was around ten feet away.

When she was half of the way up he was only three feet away.

The numbers didn't add up in her favor.

Now he was two feet away, and Willow was climbing as fast as she possibly could. It didn't do any good though, because Avery grabbed her by the ankle and pulled her down. With a quick look over her shoulder, Willow could see the evil in Avery's eyes and it made her very upset. Before she knew what was happening, her vision turned red. When her vision cleared, Avery was convulsing on the pavement. She quickly scrambled up and over the fence. Willow didn't look back to see if he was still coming.

She kept running.

When Willow reached her house there were guards standing out front already waiting for her. When they saw her they gave her disappointed glances, but didn't speak. Instead they waited for her to get closer. Sir Sneedly was there too and Willow couldn't help but cringe at the way he was glaring at her.

Willow's mom and Leah were there too, but instead of being disappointed they were rushing her to sign the papers and be on her way to the palace. Before it was too late.

Willow took the papers Sir Sneedly was now holding out to her and turned around to crouch on the pavement and sign them.

And there was Avery. Staggering towards her with the gun-like-weapon he had used to paralyze her before. Everyone else was looking in his general direction, but it seemed like no one else could see him but her. Willow knew that he wasn't a figment of her imagination though, he was something real, scary, powerful, and he was getting closer.

With a frightened squeak Willow signed the papers as fast as she could and handed them back to Sir Sneedly, then she grabbed a small bag her mom was holding out for her and charaded the guards towards the train station. Which, luckily, wasn't too far away.

They mistook her terror for excitement, and because they didn't want to be late followed Willow enthusiastically. Before she knew it, Willow was aboard the train and on her way to the nation's capital. She pressed her face up against the window and looked frantically for Avery, but she couldn't see him.

It meant he had gone back to his home, his lair, and he was plotting something bigger.

Then Willow realized with a strangled sob that she hadn't said goodbye. Now she was alone, on her way to the palace, and terrified. Willow knew one thing though, and that was she needed to find Keefe.

-----

The train ride was long and boring as Willow hadn't thought to bring a book. She spent the first hour memorizing everything about the train car she was in. There were six guards, two seated on either side of her, two at the door and two seated elsewhere in the car; all of the shades were drawn and Willow assumed it was to that they wouldn't attract attention- something she was more than pleased with; the carpet was incredibly clean as were the chairs and tables- it was a fancy train car. She probably seemed suspicious with all of the staring, and so after one of the guards gave her a warning glance, Willow moved to fiddling with her fingers.

Unfortunately, as Willow had nothing else to do, she set to thinking. The last week's events churned in her mind, each thing more confusing and mind boggling than the last. Sure her life had always been strange, and some of her memories were blurry - something she had a feeling had to do with Avery - but her life had never been, what's the word, oh yes, terrifying. Because that's what she felt at the moment, terrified. 

Willow liked to think she was a strong female, she was clumsy, yes, but she did know a little bit of street fighting meaning she could knock a guy out if she really set her mind to it. However, in the scenario that she kept playing in her mind she could never knock out Avery. And as much as she hated to admit it, Willow was pretty sure that no matter how hard she tried, she wouldn't be able to defeat Avery on her own, especially in her confused state.

The twists and turns of each fact all made their way back to her- and to Avery's strange plan. His plan to eliminate Sophie, who Willow felt might have been her, and Keefe. If Willow was, indeed Sophie, she knew that Keefe would be her best asset. If Avery wanted to get rid of them, both of them, then they were probably stronger together. 

Stronger

Although Willow knew she was no match for Avery, she couldn't help feeling that she had gained some sort of power- whatever thing had allowed her to make Avery fall away from her the way he had. It was almost as if she had turned her emotions into a physical weapon. She had hurt him with her heart

For a while, no one spoke, leaving Willow to her thoughts. Eventually, the guard to her right spoke up. 

"Miss Lark," Willow looked over to him, startled by the noise. "We're nearing the palace, there's perhaps fifteen minutes left in our journey. When we arrive at the station you can expect swarms of people to be waiting there. It's our job," he motioned to the other guards in the room, "to make sure you get to the palace safely. For that to happen you will need to listen to us. Do you understand?"

Willow nodded feverishly, upset with the fact that her safety was now jeopardized by a mere crowd. However, when they reached the station, Willow peeked out of her window and understood why the guards seemed restless. There were people everywhere.

How was she ever going to find Keefe in a sea of so many people? And how on Earth was she supposed to be part of the Selection as well? Willow watched the other girls leave their trains as well. She had expected them to all be stuck up girls who only cared about their looks, and a few of them were- but most of them weren't. In fact, most of them dressed similarly to her- all shared her natural beauty, although theirs was much more striking, and all seemed to have similar personalities judging by the ways they smiled and waved at the crowd.

Those were genuine smiles, but Willow couldn't shake the feeling that something was off about them. Either she was going insane, or someone was trying to make her blend in- so Logan wouldn't notice her. And if it was the latter, then Willow knew exactly who. Why did Avery want to keep her away from Logan?

This chapter was kind of boring in my opinion, much like Willow's train ride. However, she's going to meet Logan in the next chapter!!!! And, I might have time to update again today... so!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the support, you guys are all the best!