Chapter 16

1992

What is to be happy?
To live with the person you love, to wake up to that person's smiling face, to be able to see that person throughout the day, to be able to sleep peacefully in that person's warm embrace, to be loved and cared by that person, to give all your love to that person. That's one of the many definitions of happiness.

Zhan and Yibo had acquired that kind of happiness. They were happy, indeed they were very happy.

They had decided not to care about the future, but still, that fear had never left them. They didn't used to speak it out aloud or make it obvious, they hid it to themselves.

The constant fear of losing Zhan was being more intense these past few days. Yibo was afraid. He was very much afraid. Yibo isn't Yibo without his Zhan. The fear of losing Zhan was eating him alive.

That was when Yibo came up with a plan. A plan to face the destiny. A plan to make Zhan his, legally.

August 3rd, 1992

"Zhan... " Yibo back hugged Zhan, who was busy preparing breakfast for them in the kitchen.

"Yes, baby... " Zhan leaned back against Yibo's chest.

"I think I'll be home a bit late today. " Yibo said as he nuzzled his face against Zhan's neck.

"Why? " Zhan asked.

"I have a few extra work assigned. So, I need to complete them as early as possible. " Yibo said.

"Okay. But come home as soon as you can. I'll be waiting for you. " Zhan said as he turned around and pecked Yibo's lips.

"Yes, baby... " Yibo said as he kissed Zhan passionately.

They had breakfast together and Yibo left for work.

Zhan went back to doing household chores and then painting.

Yibo finished his work early that day and he straight away went to Yanli's house. He had lied to Zhan in the morning saying that he had extra work.

He knocked on the door and Yanli opened it for him.

"Come in, Yibo. " Yanli said with a smile.

"Hi, Yibo. " Yuchen who was sitting on the couch, stood up to welcome Yibo.

Yibo sat on the couch next to Yuchen and Yanli took her seat on the chair next to the couch.

"So, what do you want to speak about, Yibo? " Yanli asked.

"Jie... I actually want to... " Yibo trailed.

"That's fine. Tell us what it is. " Yuchen said.

"I want to ask Zhan's hand in marriage. " Yibo slightly blushed.

"What? " Yanli asked in an excited tone as a wide smile arose on her face.

"Yes, Jie. I want to propose him. " Yibo said with a shy smile.

"That's great, Yibo! " Yuchen exclaimed.

"When are you going to propose him? " Yanli asked.

"The day after tomorrow, on August 5th. " Yibo said.

"Wait! You're gonna propose him on your birthday? " Yanli asked.

"Yes, Jie. He's the one who gave me a new life. He's the one who filled my life with love. So I want to propose him on my birthday. " Yibo said and both Yanli and Yuchen smiled at him.

"So, what's the plan? " Yuchen asked.

"Everything is planned. " Yibo said.
"I'll propose right where I found him. " Yibo said and Yanli nodded with a smile as she knew what he meant.