1 : From Small Town to Huge City

Jessie's POV

I sniffed the air, hoping to catch even a faint whiff of open country air. Nope... You see, I am from a small town in Wyoming, right at the base of the mountains. So, coming here, to New York, things are a bit different. Ok, a LOT different. The air is so thick and heavy, people don't know each other and seem indifferent to everything, there is no silence, no rest. I peer up at the sky as heavy storm clouds begin to brew above me. Looks as though it's gonna rain today... good. It's too dry here anyways. I slowly and carefully made my way through the bustling streets straight to the one slice of peace in the vast city: the park. 

Walking along the path through the grass and trees, I couldn't help but admire the small beauty in the cement city. The green against grey jumped out at you like nothing else. Even just the fresh smell of something living hit heavily in my heart. Maybe a little too close...

Before I knew it, the two large marks on my back underneath my flannel began to burn. I have felt lots of pain before, working on a farm. Getting kicked by a calf, headbutt by a goat, stepped on by the neighbor's horse. This pain, however, was completely different. Being stuck in my head is never a good thing because I normally end up hurting myself or running into something. Sure enough, before I could say "hey" I ran into something large, and hard and... warm? What the hell would be warm in this weather?! As large arms wrapped themselves around me, it hit me... oh shit...

I looked up immediately, the pain in my back intensifying, and am met with two sets of bright blue eyes. Both of their faces lit up and their gorgeous eyes grew in excitement. Mate. They both whispered at the same time. Meanwhile, I remained a stuttering mess in blonde's arms. Finally, pulling myself together, I stepped out of his arms and backed away just a bit. Don't get me wrong, he was very warm and felt safe, I have just never been that close to someone who wasn't family or a friend, let alone a stranger in New York City. 

Both men glanced down at me with hurt expressions. Whoops. 

"Hey, um, sorry about that. Didn't mean to run right into ya... um, are you really some of my soulmates?" Smooth Jessie, real smooth. Both men brightened upon hearing my voice, the man with longer brown hair smirking at my slight western accent. 

"Well yes, yes we are it would appear... and, I bet we can take you to the rest of your mates as well." Wha...? How do they know? My face must have given away my confusion because the dark haired man merely laughed and turned back the direction he had come. Blonde, however, stayed staring down at me.

"I can't believe you are here now..." He looked up at the sky as small droplets began falling down on his beautiful face. What the hell Jessie?! You have known the man for five seconds! "Come with me. Bucky and I will take you to your other mates. Plus, wouldn't wanna get stuck out here in the rain." At that he smiled and began to walk forward. 

Well, I mean, he doesn't seem that dangerous, and if all else fails, I have my pocket knife in my jean pocket. So with that, I followed him away from the park.

~~~~~

As we walked along, I learned that they were Steve and Bucky, aka Captain America and the Winter Soldier. It was only when Bucky had said that did I notice his metal arm. Wow Jessie... real nice observation skills. Dipstick... I began to explain why I was in New York. The death of my parents, selling the farm, coming up here for their last wish or whatever. 

"So this last business, or wish, what do you have to do for that?" Bucky seemed to be a bit more blunt at times than Steve was, but I really didn't mind. 

"Apparently I am supposed to go to this big tower thingy. It's owned by like a Troy Stork or something of that nature. I don't know. I'm horrible when it comes to people and names." Due to my rambling, I had failed to notice Steve and Bucky stop walking with me, only to stare dumbfounded at me. I stopped, no longer hearing their footsteps to see them gaping at me. "What? Was it something I said?" That seemed to snap them out of it as they both smirked and hauled me away by my arms. "Hey you hooligans! Put me down! Just cause I'm short don't mean I can't walk." They merely chuckled and carried me along with them. 

Suddenly a huge tower came into view ahead of us. "Hey, that's the tower I was talking about. How did you guys know?" Now I really was confused. 

"Well," Steve began...

"We live there with, um, Troy Stork." Bucky finished speaking for Steve, laughing at my reaction to his statement. At least, that's what I thought he was laughing about. 

By this time, it had begun to pour so the boys set me down and we made a mad dash for the entrance to the tower. My boots were clicking against the pavement with each step I made while the guys were silent on their feet. Damn super soldiers. When we finally reached the front doors, we were all soaked and dripping all over the floors. The guy strode through like they owned the place, making me feel even smaller next to them. They led me over to the elevator while all the employees stared or glared. Haha, that rhymed, anyways... 

When we got into the elevator, Steve began to speak to seemingly no one. "FRIDAY, take us to the common room please. Have everyone gather there. It's urgent."

"Um, Steve, who are you talkin to?" I tilted my head in question and lifted my brow. Suddenly, my question was answered, just not by Steve or Bucky. 

"I am FRIDAY Miss Hare, Tony's AI." I jumped and hid behind the guys. They only chuckled at my reaction to the technology. Feeling embarrassed for myself I got out from behind them, my cheeks flushed bright red. 

"Aw look Stevie, she's cute when she's blushing." Bucky cooed in my ear, his hot breath fanning my neck. He had leaned over to get down to my short level. Steve seemed to see where he was going with this because he suddenly leant down too, me standing in front of them.

"I agree Buck. She sure is cute when she's flustered." I had finally decided this was enough and turned to face my "attackers".

"Just what do you two think you are doing try to make me all nervous and flustered and hot over here? You two can both just back your little butts up, give me some space and let me figure out without your flirtatious help who the hell this Troy Stork really is!" In my rant, I hadn't noticed that the doors had opened and I now had an audience...