Chapter 14: Maybe, But

Seirá Agapis #2
Latch
Chapter 14: Maybe, but

•••

NAGISING si Krystique sa medyo malakas na tawanan but she decided to close her eyes once again. She turned around and she tried to hold her daughter pero wala siyang mahawakan. Mabilis siyang napadilat dahil dito at nang makumpirma niya ngang wala ang kanyang anak ay agad siyang napabalikwas ng bangon. Tiningnan niya sa sahig kung andoon ba ang kanyang anak pero namutla siya ng wala siyang  makita doon.

She tried to remember everything that has happened before she even slept last night. And she can clearly remember that she put her daughter in the bed. The pillows that prevents her daughter from falling are still there. Namutla siya ng bigla niyang maisip na baka may pumasok sa kanilang bahay habang tulog siya at baka kinuha ang anak niya. She suddenly had the thought that maybe the father of her daughter came to get Euphemia from her.

Agad siyang bumangon mula sa pagkakahiga, kinuha niya ang robang nakasampay sa upuan at mabilis niyang sinuot ito. Dali dali siyang lumabas ng kwarto at patakbo siyang bumaba ng hagdan. Lalo siyang kinabahan ng makarinig muli siya ng tawanan. Ngunit nag-e-expect siya na sana nasa baba ang lalaking hinahanap niya.

And when Krystique finally arrived downstairs ay tila nagyelo ang kanyang buong katawan sa kanyang nakita.

Liberty was sitting on the couch holding her tummy, Mia Santillan is also present and is sitting beside her friend, but what shocked her the most is the man in black t-shirt, denim jeans and fashionable leather shoes is holding her daughter. And that man is none other than Miguel Santillan.

"Hey sis look she is smiling at me!" - narinig niyang saad nito dahilan para lalo siyang magulat. Napahawak si Krystique sa ulo niya havang inaalala kung paano ba nakapasok ang isang Miguel Santillan sa kanyang unit? She actually can't remember what happened.

'Did I just sleep walk? No! That's impossible' - she immediately dismissed the thought that she sleep walked last night. Dahil hindi niya pa yun ginagawa sa tanang bubay niya. While she was thinking, a vague memory suddenly appeared on her mind.

It was when she opened the door of her unit and she saw Miguel standing right in front of her.  Now she is positive that she did woke up in the middle of the night and encountered Miguel and let him inside her unit. But then again, she is not questioning Miguel in her subconscious.

'Why did this man not leave?' - she asked herself while still looking at the back of Miguel. Naputol ang pagtitig niya dito ng bigla niyang marinig na tinawag siya ni Liberty.

Biglang lumapit sakanya ang dalaga at agad siyang niyakap nito.

"Good Morning Krystique! How's your sleep. Sabi nitong si Miguel antok na antok ka daw kaya di ka na muna niya pina-duty sa ospital" - Liberty said which made her eyes grew wide. Then a memory entered her thoughts again. It is memory from last night, or rather kaninang madaling araw.

Napa-face palm nalang si Krystique nang maalala kung anong ginawa nanaman yang katangahan kaninang madaling araw

"Oh you're finally awake! I think you still need some sleep since Linalee said that there are still feeding bottles here with your milk" - Miguel suddenly said at kitang kita niya kung paano nito laruin ang kamay ng kanyang anak. Pero imbis na matuwa siya ay agad siyang pinamulahan ng mukha dahil na-realize niya kung anong sinabi ng lalaki.

"Pfft you just embarrassed her Kuya hahaha" - Mia said which made Miguel cheeks turn red as well dahilan para mapaiwas din ito ng tingin sakanya.

"Pfft I smell love in the air" - Liberty whispered on her ear which made her eyes grew wide

"Hey no! It's not what you think Liberty" - she defended herself and she saw how Liberty let out a grin at her.

"Uyy si Kuya kinikilig" - She heard Mia and is obviously teasing him. Magsasalita pa sana siya upang depensahan ang kanyang sarili at ganoon din si Miguel ng bigla siyang hilahin ni Liberty papunta sa ikalawang palapag nang kanyang unit.

Napa-ngiwi si Krystique dahil natatakot siya sa bigla-biglang paghila sakanya ng kaibigan. Nasa transition na ito ng third trimester at nakakatakot kung bigla itong manganak ng maaga.

Akala niya ay hihinto na si Liberty sa paghila sakanya ng bigla siya nitong pinasok sa sariling kwarto at agad siyang pinaupo ng kaibigan sa kama.

'Why do I feel like she is going to interrogate me?' - tanong ni Krystique sa kanyang sarili matapos makita ang medyo nakakatakot na tingin sakanya ng kaibigan. Liberty looks at her like she did something wrong.

"What's with you and Miguel?" - tanong nito dahilan para mapalunok siya. She intertwined her hands together and she looked at her feet.

"Well, he is the hospital director's so—

Liberty cut her off which made her almost jump off from her seat.

"Cut the introduction. I already know him well since Mia is her sister and he is part of the band Heavens, the band that your brother is in as well" - seryosong saad ni Liberty dahilan para halos malag-lag ang kanyang panga. She doesn't expect that Liberty knows Miguel Santillan well and also that the man is part of a band.  Now she is curious whether his voice is good.

"Ahh okay.. well let's say we are just f-friends but you know he c-c-confessed to me" - nahihiyang saad ni Krystique habang nakayuko padin siya at nilalaro ang kanyang mga daliri. She is embarrassed to say those straightforward things, and actually it is the first time she ever shared something about her love life to a friend, since she always kept her distance from her classmates way back high school,  college days and even in medical school due to her parents and brother's status in the industry.

"Ah talaga Friends? It's not what I think. You actually like the man as well. Well I really think that you just give up finding the father of Euphemia and just accept Miguel. Since you said that Miguel already confessed to you and I think he is willing to be the father. Miguel is the perfect man for you" - Liberty said and immediately she raise her head and she let out a sly smile.

What her friend is correct but she also have some principles.

"I think he is the perfect man, but Liberty. I don't actually need a perfect man. I just need a man who will love and care Euphemia and also myself in future"

Liberty sighed and she held her friend's hands

"But that's what Miguel is doing right? Why can't you give him a chance?" - she asked and Krystique smiled again, and it is a genuine one.

"Maybe I like Miguel, but I still need to try my best to at least meet my daughter's father. Ayokong pumasok sa isang relasyon na baka isang araw mawasak dahil lang sa makita ko ang tatay ng anak ko. I want to make things clear for him before I settle with someone" - Krystique said, giving every honesty and sincerity in her body to every words she said to Liberty. That is her resolve. Maybe she does like Miguel at some point, maybe she doesn't, but either way she still thinks that she needs to find the father of Euphemia. She does not want to rob the father the right to meet her daughter.

©️IMPERATRICE C